• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pseudotropheus polit 'Lions Cove'

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I ordered 8 juveniles from the group buy through Dave's Rare fish. They ranged in size from 1.25-1.5". I put them in a 30 gallon tank with some other growout fish until I set up a tank for them. I know these guys can get aggressive, but I figured at this size I had a while before it became an issue. Within the first 2 weeks, I lost one, and had to move one to a hospital tank from a severe beating.

Its been a few months and they've grown a little in size, the largest being around 2". I was watching their tank last night and noticed an alpha male has already started to express himself and exert his dominance over the tank. He claimed a hollow clay log as his and was chasing everyone away from it. At one point I saw him tag a Venustus about an inch larger than him.

He is showing the blue/silver coloration with the dark mask, similar to the photo below, pulled directly from Dave's website. All of the other fish remain the brown color, and are doing their best to avoid his aggression. I may have to add more caves or rocks to this tank to mitigate aggession in the meantime. Hoping it will turn out to be a decent sex ratio as I don't think multiple males will coexist except in a large tank.

Looking forward to these guys getting bigger and starting to breed, just have to make sure the group survives long enough to make it there. I haven't seen this species available very often, but they are a neat dwarf mbuna, but probably comparable to demasoni in terms of aggression.

DRAF-polit.jpg

rsretep

Members
Good luck Mike sounds like more cover is a good idea and PLEASE keep me in mind if and when you get blessed with some fry...

bdmminer

Members
I was thinking about ordering some fish from Dave's but I was wondering how the fishes health is once it gets to its destination? Because I don't want to have to nurse a fish back to health.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fischfan13

Banned
I was thinking about ordering some fish from Dave's but I was wondering how the fishes health is once it gets to its destination? Because I don't want to have to nurse a fish back to health.

Dave is one of the best, if not THE best, when it comes to ordering/shipping fish.
We have done many Group Buys from Dave where up to 5 airports have been shipped to and absolutely no health issues.

zebra7

Members

BD, Mbuna are one of the easiest fish to ship. When bagged, and shipped correctly, they can last 2-3 days in transit with no health issues.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The intent of my post may have been a little skewed. As Bill mentioned, Dave has some of the nicest stock available, and one of the best selections when it comes to mbuna. I am sure the fish I lost was to aggression. It was my fault for not providing adequate cover for the juveniles. I have added more rocks and caves since, and all fish are doing well. These fish can just be rough on each other, a characteristic of the species, not the retailer.

I would never hesitate to recommend Dave to prospective buyers. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him in Indianapolis in a few weeks!

zebra7

Members
Hello Mike, I feel from your Original post shipping was not a concern at all with the loss of your fish. You posted fish were in your care for almost two weeks before you had lost one. I felt BD's statement was a concern of fish being shipped in General, and not where they came from.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The intent of my post may have been a little skewed. As Bill mentioned, Dave has some of the nicest stock available, and one of the best selections when it comes to mbuna. I am sure the fish I lost was to aggression. It was my fault for not providing adequate cover for the juveniles. I have added more rocks and caves since, and all fish are doing well. These fish can just be rough on each other, a characteristic of the species, not the retailer.

I would never hesitate to recommend Dave to prospective buyers. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him in Indianapolis in a few weeks!

The fish I got in May were great.

I got 1 group of peacocks that I put in tanks by them selves. One of the females was holding 2 days later.

The other fish I got were 3 female peacocks. I kept them in isolation for 5 days and then added my male. Holding female the next day.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The fish I got in May were great.

I got 1 group of peacocks that I put in tanks by them selves. One of the females was holding 2 days later.

The other fish I got were 3 female peacocks. I kept them in isolation for 5 days and then added my male. Holding female the next day.
What kind of peacocks?