• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Power went out...filter motor may be damaged

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Hey All,

There was some flickering and then everything went out in just 3 seconds. I operate 2 AC 110's on my 55 gallons. The motor in one AC appears to be gone. No hum or anything. Does this sound like the motor went up? If so, what can I do with the sponge and bag of ceramic media bag. Can I just toss in the tank, so that bacteria doesn't die?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey All,

There was some flickering and then everything went out in just 3 seconds. I operate 2 AC 110's on my 55 gallons. The motor in one AC appears to be gone. No hum or anything. Does this sound like the motor went up? If so, what can I do with the sponge and bag of ceramic media bag. Can I just toss in the tank, so that bacteria doesn't die?

Yep you can just toss it in the tank for now. The motors do t go so easily but I guess it's possible. I would take it off clean everything and try a different plug if you haven't already done so

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Usually it just means you need to clean it out. Impellar is caught on something and they'll shut off automatically before they butn up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

i had a filter that i thought was fried after the circut breaker blew. It wouldn't work once i turned the power on. But after taking it apart, cleaning it, un plugging it. It randomly worked fine. Deff mess around with it for a while first. take out the impeller and clean it up. =]

basically what everyone else said =]

Forester

Members
Every time one of my many aquaclears doesn't start up I just poke the impeller a few times and spin it around and then it starts back up. I have never actually take one apart, I just poke around till it starts again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Yep you can just toss it in the tank for now. The motors do t go so easily but I guess it's possible. I would take it off clean everything and try a different plug if you haven't already done so

Usually it just means you need to clean it out. Impellar is caught on something and they'll shut off automatically before they butn up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hey! Hey, that's some mighty fine advice.

i had a filter that i thought was fried after the circut breaker blew. It wouldn't work once i turned the power on. But after taking it apart, cleaning it, un plugging it. It randomly worked fine. Deff mess around with it for a while first. take out the impeller and clean it up. =]

basically what everyone else said =]

Every time one of my many aquaclears doesn't start up I just poke the impeller a few times and spin it around and then it starts back up. I have never actually take one apart, I just poke around till it starts again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thanks everyone. I will toss everything in the tank and look at the impellar and put it back. I will let you guys know.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Alright great news. I took out the impellar, rinsed (it was just cleaned a couple of weeks ago), and reassembled. Came back to life like a champ. Thanks for the advice.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
i used to have several that did that. I would have to check them after every storm. I finally replaced the impeller shaft on them. Has not happened since. The shaft gets worn over time. Power goes out and the impeller gets off center a little and does not restart. New impeller shaft helps.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
When I used ACs, they would always have difficulty restarting after a power outtage. I bent a large paperclip to reach into the impeller housing. After a tap or two, it would fire back up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Self restarting is an important filter selection criterion. If power surge occurs when you are out on vacation, no one will be around to kick start the filter and your fish will be dead if you have no back up.

This is why you always set up a minimum of two filters per tank, so if one fails to restart, you can count on the second one to run to keep your fish alive.

In term of the brand and model of filters, it makes a difference which one restarts easier than others. Many years ago, I had all three main brands HOBs: Whisper, AC and Penguin so I can compare their restarting reliability. Based on comparison of the largest model of all three brands, Penguin is the most reliable restarter, and Whisper is the worst. All brand will eventually stop restarting if you don't periodically clean the impeller but Whisper would fail even two weeks after cleaning. AC scored somewhere in between. Even with the same manufacturer, different model can perform differently; for example, Penguin 350 restarts better than smaller model 150, and Penguin restarts better than Emperor of the same manufacturer. My comparison is based on models built in the 90s and since design changed over time, so it's only valid for models built in that period.

i run appropriate sized aquaclears and penguins on each tank, as well as canisters on three of them. there are a lot of power issues in my house thanks in no small part to the people who live upstairs. and my work schedule has me away from home for a couple days here and there.
my experience is as others have mentioned; the aquaclears will start back up with a little effort, and the penguins seem to start back up on their own normally.
fortunately, a power outage (while semi-frequent) hasn't caused me lose a fish in some time.

lkelly

Members
When I used ACs, they would always have difficulty restarting after a power outtage. I bent a large paperclip to reach into the impeller housing. After a tap or two, it would fire back up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I just stick my pinky finger down into the impeller and it usually starts right up.

Typing that made me feel like I have tiny Donald Trump hands.

You shouldn't rely on your pinky every time to restart a filter. If it doesn't restart by itself, clean the impeller and see if it works. If it consistently fails to restart, trash it and get another filter. Self restarting is critical for protection of short term power surge, not long term power outage. I have battery operated Penn Plax B-11 air pumps I plug in when I go away for vacation, which will self start in power outage. But B-11 only gives me 24 to 36 hour protection as the battery will eventually run out in multiple day outages.

lkelly

Members
I've been using Aquaclears forever and rarely have a problem with power outage restarts. Most of the time, as mentioned before by others, it's a case of the impeller needing to be cleaned. Very easy to do with that model.

And to calm my anxiety, I measured my hands according to the NFL Combine method. 9.25" which apparently makes me a first round draft pick. I'm now only going to finger restart Aquaclear 110s.

tumblr_nmwx7m3NlB1u5xvbuo1_500.jpg

Aquaman

Members
I just take the motor, disassemble it, clean everything with vaseline, then put it back in the filter and it works.