• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Power Outage (grumble grumble)

For no apparent reason my power went off this morning as I was leaving for work. I HATE power outages! :mad: I have large back-up batteries for all the tanks and either sponges or bubblers in or near all the tanks, so it wasn't too hard to hook everything up to keep oxygen flowing. I decided it was a good 'drill' as we're in hurricane season, plus many of us are getting horrendous thunderstorms each night. Soooooo, I suggest everyone do a little power outage drill of their own -- make sure your back-up equipment is handy, batteries full, flashlight working, etc., before you actually need it. (And yes, I did previously work at FEMA, so I'm all about being prepared for disaster!)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
We lost power for about an hour yesterday afternoon. Everything started back up except one AC110. Looks like I need to make a Kens order for a new impeller and shaft...

Yes! Good advice!

We've had three power outages already since last Saturday because our power lines are above ground. Last night was the worst where we lost 6 hours of power. I'm thankful that we have a gas powered generator that we bought 10 years ago. We are getting good use of it.

We also have plenty of batteries, flashlights, and candles on the main floor for easy access!

Always helps to be prepared!

Arlene

mchambers

Former CCA member
We had a power outage last Saturday morning, for absolutely no apparent reason. Good old Pepco. I ended up bagging fish for the auction using a flashlight.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
We lost power for about an hour yesterday afternoon. Everything started back up except one AC110. Looks like I need to make a Kens order for a new impeller and shaft...

Yeah the shaft is the way to go.
I have several that are 10 years old and I tried to replace impeller. Still noise. I replaced the shaft and they are nice and quiet. I just got a delivery of shafts yesterday to do every AQ I have. Its amazing how worn out some of mine are.
Actually had one break off because its so thin. LOL No way to get it out of the motor.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have my generator ready to go.

Mine usually only goes out for a short time.
I just got back from my trip Saturday night. The power had gone off at some point. Had 3 AQ filters that did not restart. No problem though. I had sponges in all tanks so no loses.

I was away 9.5 days. Nobody fed the fish. Best I could see I lost 1 or 2 young AER fry. They were very happy to see me. LOL

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
We had a few brownouts yesterday and everything started up again except for the pump in my sump. I had to take it a part and put it back together and it worked like new.

lkelly

Members

Yeah the shaft is the way to go.
I have several that are 10 years old and I tried to replace impeller. Still noise. I replaced the shaft and they are nice and quiet. I just got a delivery of shafts yesterday to do every AQ I have. Its amazing how worn out some of mine are.
Actually had one break off because its so thin. LOL No way to get it out of the motor.

Struggling...to...not...make...inappropriate...remarks...

It's difficult because this is like an alley-oop on a Fisher-Price toddler basketball hoop.

Because I have to say something, I'll agree that Shaft is the way to go.

movie-of-the-day-shaft-L-pF0QiR.jpeg

mchambers

Former CCA member
AC Shafts

I just replaced two or three AC shafts as well. Didn't need to replace the impellers. Things got a lot quieter.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but they're PowerPacs, Something 600, maybe Duracell I think. They have three outlets. I ordered them all online. They've worked well the few times I had to use them. I only use them for bubblers and sponges to preserve juice, but I have put the Fluvals on them for short periods of time just to keep the filters fresh if it looks like it's going to be a longer period of time.

dogofwar

CCA Members
We had a power outage between 8:30 PM and 1:40 AM last night / this AM.... everything came back on with no apparent issues.

Quite a storm, though!

Matt

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, great light show. Our power flickered a number of times during the storm, but stayed on.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Our power was fine last night, then inexplicably went off for about 10 seconds this morning, enough to screw up all of our digital clocks and one of the timers I have some aquarium lights on.

I was really surprised that the power did not go off last here, especially since we were in the path of the tornado warnings for the Fairfax area. The lightning, wind, hail, and rain show last night was quite spectacular!

Arlene

FishEggs

When we first moved into our current home, we would loose power when a cloud would sneeze. Surprisingly we didn't loose power at all the past several big storms we've had. They must have fixed something.