• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

pop eye!

This morning I found my female Brichardi has a cartoon like enlarged eye. I immediately removed her to a 10g. I changed 50% of the water in the 10g and added 1tbs epsom salts per 5gallon. This is all I could do this morning before I left for work. It looks weird. :eek:

I plan to do a 50% water change in the main tank that she was in when I get home.

I have never ran into this problem before. So, I am open to suggestions as to what I need to do to make sure everyone else is healthy and happy.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I used Maracyn-two to treat a case once. I know some other antibiotics work as well. I don't have much other first hand experience, so hopefully others can offer you more comprehensive advice. Good luck.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Can I ask why you added Epsom Salt? That may be just the thing but I would have used regular salt (marine). I cannot imagine a couple of teaspoons being a problem but I would have added a teaspoon per gallon of the marine to start and gone from there. I hope all is well regardless.

George

Can I ask why you added Epsom Salt? That may be just the thing but I would have used regular salt (marine). I cannot imagine a couple of teaspoons being a problem but I would have added a teaspoon per gallon of the marine to start and gone from there. I hope all is well regardless.

George

Epsom salt is a great cure for many aquatic ailments in fish. I do not know why. It has something to do with the chemical make-up of it. Many people use it. I have already noticed some reduction in the bulge of the eye this evening for the one that I am treating with epsom salts.

So by the time that I got home that day the female's eye had reduced in size. Two days later its as if this never happened. I returned her to the tank and her and her man starting dancing right away. They missed each other. Good outcome to this adventure.

ARGH, So this problem has popped back up again. Same fish same eye. I treated the tank with epsom today. I will do water change when I get home. I wonder what is causing this. I caught it a little earlier this time. I think the male keeps hitting her because they are spawning and I think she just might have a sensitive eye. I still do not think it is bacteria or anything like that. I need to test the water as soon as I get home but I just did a water change 5 days ago and last time the eye popped there was no ammonia or Nitrates. I suppose it could be a little ph issue too. I will test when I get home. I found the problem walking out the door today.

Let us know how it works out, I've had the problem before but the fish eventually lost the eye. Treated it with the powder form of maracyn 2, but no success. I don't like using alot of meds in the tank especially if I have to treat a large tank. Sometimes I let it take its course, along with partial water changes. Works most of the time.

Gerard

PH seems to be the culprit. It really bombed in 5 days. I don't have crushed coral or an buffer other than lace rock but I have never really had a problem before. I've been running the tank for a year and never had the ph just go down off of my high range ph test kit. Water comes out of my tap at 7.6-7.8 PH. I did a 40% water change. That should bring it up enough for tonight.

DonkeyFish

Members
What are you using to dechlor?? I know I used to use a product (that shall remain nameless) that was tanking my pH (figured it out finally after losing almost a whole tankfull). I've in recent months heard tales bubble back up from several other people that turned out the dechlor was the most likely culprit. There are a couple of products that are suspect. Prime is not one of them...

PH seems to be the culprit. It really bombed in 5 days. I don't have crushed coral or an buffer other than lace rock but I have never really had a problem before. I've been running the tank for a year and never had the ph just go down off of my high range ph test kit. Water comes out of my tap at 7.6-7.8 PH. I did a 40% water change. That should bring it up enough for tonight.