• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond plants - Lotus and Water Lilies

zendog

Hi All,

I've been working on some re-potting and dividing of my pond plants and have some extras to offer for sale. I've done a lot of research on specific types that stay smaller and are well suited to growing in tubs etc. These are all pretty different than what you might find locally. If you are keeping fish in any tubs this summer, these are particularly nice to grow with them since as we hit the really hot days, their leaves have already spread out and keep the water from over heating.

Dauben (dwarf tropical water lily) - $10 each
This is a tiny tropical water lily that I've grown both in a small pond and in a smallish container (20" diameter at the top). Unlike the hardy lilies with their flowers floating at the surface, the tropicals hold their flowers up off the water. While they won't make it through the winter, Dauben is one of the tropicals that are vivaporous (start new plantlets from the leaves) and are easy to keep going in a small container in a window. I wintered over 5 little starter plants and just need 2, so I have 3 for sale. These are still at the stage where they are putting out underwater leaves, but with fertilizer and nice warm weather they grow quickly and will be flowering by early July if not earlier. Here is a picture of mine still flowering even after the first frost (they go longer than any of the hardy water lilies since they just flower until the weather gets them which is nice) and a close up around the same time. The over exposure of the flower in the picures don't do it justice but if you google it you'll see they come out a lovely light blue (almost lavender) with a light, almost white toward the inside and bright yellow center. Dog head shows you how small these little beauties are. You'll get the little plant in a bag ready to be planted.
dauben.jpg

dauben2.jpg

Laydekeri Lilacea (dwarf hard water lily) - $10
I also have a very pretty pink water lily that is great to grow in a container or corner of your pond. It has leaves about 4-5 inches wide and flowers 2-3 inches wide. I'm going to divide my plant and will just have one tuber to share. It will come in the plastic bag ready to plant.
lilacea.jpg

Hermine (small hardy water lily) - $10
This was the first lily I ever grew and I still love it. Not as small as Lilacea or some of the pygmy lilies I grow, but much smaller than most hard lilies. The leaves normally get about 6 inches and the flowers about 4. In my pond, which only gets about 5 hours of light, the leaves get a bit bigger (about 8 inches) as the plant is trying to make the most of it. But even with less light I get a lot of blooms. It is the classic white water lily. It is a bit big for the resin half barrels I often use (I think those are only about 24 inches wide), but great in a small pond where it won't dominate like most bigger lilies will or in larger containers. The frog in this picture is on the small size, but good for reference. Unfortunately my camera phone over exposed this one as well.
hermine.jpg

I also have three types of lotus that I can offer as tubers. These are really awesomely showy plants and the ones I grow are all considered dwarf or "bowl" lotus. I grow them in the resin half barrel planters that you can get at Lowes or HD and are about 24" inches at the top. They lotus are planted into 7-quart oil change pans (about $5 or less) so it makes it easy for me to take them out of the barrels to winter over without having to store/move the barrels themselves. Here's a picture of the three growing around July 4th after being started as tubers. By early August there were usually 1-4 flowers out at a time in each lotus pot.
lotusi.jpg

Sparks (dwarf or "bowl") - $15
This is the one in bloom in the photo above. This is a more traditional style flower and came from the research project at Auburn that collected lotus from all over China. It will grow even smaller if grown in a smaller container. Here is a picture of the flower. When the light is hitting these, they are stunning.
sparks.jpg

Meizhonghong - $15
This is the lotus in the middle of group of lotus in the picture above. While I don't have a picture of the flower, it was actually the very first to flower (mid June maybe) and has a similar, but larger flower than Sparks. It has a few more petals than Sparks and is considered a "dancing" style bloom since the petals are at slighly different levels when the flower spreads out and the petals "dance" in the breeze. As you can see in the first lotus flower it is the largest of the three I grow but still easily grown in a container. It would be great in the corner of any pond as well.

Momo Botan - $15
These are pink like the others, grows smaller like Sparks and has what is often called the thousand petal style bloom. It is the first lotus I grew and has come back and flowered easily for me. All three of these were very productive and bloom repeatedly during the summer into early fall. If you leave the flowers to seed you get the pretty seed heads you can use in dried flower arrangements, but you get fewer blooms. Here is a picture of Momo in bloom, probably the last day of blooming since it is all the way open.
momo.jpg

And so you know what a tuber looks like, here is what I have from the Momo Botan I'm dividing. Each tuber will come with a minimum or 2 growing tips and should grow and flower easily by summer.

tubers.jpg

As you can probably tell by this very wordy post, I love the pond plants and am very happy to help anyone with advice, etc. They are pretty easy to grow and are great to add to your tubs and ponds with your fish this summer. One word of caution, if you have Koi you probably won't have plants for long. There is something you can do with Lotus, but water lilies will just be a quick lunch for any decent sized Koi.

I'm in Arlington, will be at the PVAS auction tomorrow and may be coming to the April CCA meeting. Eventually I'll put these out on CL or sell them at a neighborhood plant sale, but wanted to offer them here first.

zendog

I'm bringing at least one lotus out to the PVAS auction and I'll check my PMs again in the morning to see if anyone else wants me to bring anything.

I didn't list them before, but I also have Pickerel Rush and a royal blue Louisiana Iris (I thought the variety was Claude Richmond, but can't seem to find it anywhere).

these are awesome. do they just hang out in those big buckets of water and do fine that way? I live in a bottom floor apartment. it gets moderate sunlight, but i have a big 50 or more year old sago palm and it dose alright. If i had a big wooden bucket like you have it be okay? they look as if they need lots of sun. there are so beautiful its intriguing

i like the sparks one and would be interested in trying to grow one in a tub.

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm interested in the Dauben and one of each type of lotus that you can spare. I'd also take some Pickerel Rush since I think I lost mine over the winter.

I'll be at PVAS tomorrow (today?) if you get this in time, otherwise will you be at the next CCA meeting?

zendog

Christine, I should have the Dauben and one of each lotus for you at the PVAS auction. I think I'm going to CCA next week and will bring you the Pickerel Rush then. The Pickerel Rush is just starting to come up now, so I want to dig some out for you but won't have time this morning.

zendog

Mason, Lotus in particular really like the heat and strong sun so while I expect it would grow for you inside it probably wouldn't flower for you. For growing inside in a tub I would suggest you try something like Yellow Floating Heart, which I have had flower in very little sun. Here is a picture of some I grew in a tub one year when I moved it out of the pond since it was growing everywhere. I don't have any now, but you can order it online or possibly find some growing were it shouldn't be if you just look for where it is growing invasively and causing problems... The Floating Heart, (like many plants we grow in ponds, can be invasive so never let it out into the waterways.
floatingheart.jpg

You could also try something like water lettuce, but none of these are as showy as the lotus.

Any chance you could have the tub right outside your apartment?

Yeah I meant to say I would have it out on the porch. Im on the bottom Floor so I have a big porch and I have some potted plants around. But bec the building is at my back it would only get sun half of the day. My Palm plant seems to be doing okay out there.

zendog

Yeah I meant to say I would have it out on the porch. Im on the bottom Floor so I have a big porch and I have some potted plants around. But bec the building is at my back it would only get sun half of the day. My Palm plant seems to be doing okay out there.

Okay, sounds like you could do okay with the lotus there. For sun, I grow mine where they only get 4-5 hours of sun per day and they do well for me. I might get more flowers or quicker grown if I had more sun, but overall, they do nicely. But my sun is midday (10-2) when the sun is at the brightest, so consider that as well.

For planting them, I plant the tubers in these pretty cheap oil pans like:
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9366901/00087
http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Heavy-Duty-Oil-Lube-and-Drain-Pan-7qt/16911596

And then place that in the bottom of these resin half barrels from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/22-1-2-i...l-Planter-with-Iron-Band-HDR-023395/205626595

You can find all sorts of planters in that size that aren't too expensive, so you might want to look around and see what you like. When the lotus is getting started, you should only have 4-6 inches over the top of the pot it is planted in, but you can go up to about 12 inches once it is putting up aerial leaves. I've been putting a few rosy red minnows in each to eat any mosquito larva, but you could easily use white clouds or even try to spawn all sorts of tetras, etc. over the summer.

Let me know if you decide you want one. I sold a bunch today, but think I still have one of the Sparks left and maybe one of the Meizhonghong.

I deffinately want to try them! If I don't get it set up right away will it keep for 1 or 2 weeks. I have 10 dwarf rainbows I wonder if they might b okay in there. Will u bee at the meeting sat?

zendog

I deffinately want to try them! If I don't get it set up right away will it keep for 1 or 2 weeks. I have 10 dwarf rainbows I wonder if they might b okay in there. Will u bee at the meeting sat?

Mason,
Sorry not to respond earlier. I will be at the meeting Saturday and can bring you a lotus tuber then if you want one. They'll be fine for a while without planting, you can actually just float them in a container outside with a small stone holding the tuber down or even just keep it in a large ziplock bag with some wet paper towels. You just want to make sure it doesn't dry out or get too hot in the bag before you're ready to plant it.

I sold several last weekend, but I think I have one of each type of lotus left. Let me know which you would like and if you have an alternate in case I find I don't have a good one of a particular variety left.

I'll take what ever you suggest or have, they r all cool and this will be my first time anyways. Thanks for the info, let me know how much I will owe you

zendog

Sounds good. I'll bring you whatever looks like the most robust tuber. They're all very nice. It will be $15.