• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond ideas

Got some pics of some of the work I've done together for those who are interested. I'm sorry the quality isn't great because most are pics of pics I took while doing the jobs. I'm going to break the posts up by job so if anyone has specific questions they can just reference the post. A few years back I worked for a company that focused on landscaping, more recently I worked as a mason and concrete contracter. The pics show how the work focused on different aspects, the landscape designed ponds were much larger and included plants and waterfalls, the mason designed ones were different and a bit more "artsie". The jobs included I worked start to finish on every aspect of the project. I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide more detail. I tried to include a good variety of sizes from the smallest "pondless ponds" to XL.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

This is the largest one I've done, the family wanted a large enough pond to ice skate on in the winter. Its approximately 40'×80' but only about 3' deep. Water is pumped from the skimmer box to a pool filter and run through a uv before returning to a very small waterfall box. Ease of maintenance was crucial for the home owner.

uploadfromtaptalk1399226741952.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399226756400.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399226766620.jpg

My favorite one, this had a total of 9 falls ranging from 8"- 5' the bottom was a "pondless" reservoir. Large hole about 8' deep and 8' wide filled with crates similar to milk crates but designed to be incredibly strong. On top of the crates sat about 12" of river stone. The water fell over the last fall which was part of a large boulder retaining wall and landed in what appeared to be a river rock plant be around a hot tub, no water was visible. It was then pumped up over 45' verticly into a water fall box and out into a separate visible pond the fed the waterfalls. This was an incredible undertaking. The pics were taken before the landscape was added and before we upgraded the pump to supply more water to the falls.

uploadfromtaptalk1399227128393.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227140367.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227152421.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227184904.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227199895.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227209536.jpg

Fairly simple setup, about 3' deep skimmer box with internal pump plumbed to a waterfall box.

uploadfromtaptalk1399227869692.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227902771.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399227927178.jpg

About as small as I'd go if you'd like to add fish as permanant residence. No waterfall box, custom plumber into a spray bar.

uploadfromtaptalk1399228070430.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399228084682.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399228100731.jpg

Pictures don't do this justice. Japanese "zen garden" garden with a stream running through it. Unfortunately its impossible to capture a view of the pond and complete stream system. This is one I was lucky enough to maintain so I could document the changes as the landscape matured. Very technical, again ease of maintanance was important so this was built with an auto fill system and heater to support the 18" koi through the winter (unfortunately we could not save them from the heron that took them out). This was one that was packed with aquatic plants. When the homeowner bought this house there was a swimming pool where the garden now sits.

uploadfromtaptalk1399228225030.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399228231632.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399228239841.jpg

Just thought I'd add this, I can't find a pic of the job I did where we converted the round fire pit to a round pond on top of a patio we poured. Ended up being very easy and was perfect if you wanted to add an above ground pond. It would even work if you built it on the ground.

uploadfromtaptalk1399229083437.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399229117003.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399229145033.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
If that doesn't get the creative juice flowing then I don't know what will

Ps you do awesome work.
You've got a wide range of skill that come well together to build sweet looking landscapes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thanks Will, how those peacocks doing? Should be getting pretty big by now. Curious to see em, I'm sure some are getting some good color by now.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
They are doing great some color but there are a lot in the tank some days the have nice colors and others they seem to not so much maybe in just looking too much lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

YSS

Members
Thanks for posting. I am thinking about doing something similar to what you posted on #4. What do you think something like that would cost to build?

Pretty inexpensive, if your resourceful and opt to use your own rocks rather than buy them the only real expense is a pump skimmer box and liner. This one used a 1200 gph pump and I had to put a ball valve on it to back it off some. Another trick to cut cost is to build a diy skimmer box save about 150 bucks. Liner would be the biggest expense. Total cost less than 500$, I could send you a list of required material if you'd like.

What did you use to line(hold water) the ponds?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I use rubber liners made by tire companies like bridgestone or firestone. On bigger ones I've glued (bonded) several together. Depending on what the ground underneath is like you can use anything from felt to carpet remnants to cover any sharp edges that could damage the liner.