• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond fall/winter prep

iamzrad

Members
Anyone with an outdoor in-ground pond have advice on how to keep the onset of leaves out? Every year I try a netting system but they always breakdown and then get frozen in the ice and snow.
I have two mature white oaks that are relatively close by that do most of the damage, if I could cut them down I would! The previous homeowners didn't think of the placement quite thoroughly when installing it.

Becca

Members
Lilypons sells a really awesome net for this. I saw it in their catalog the other day and it's much sturdier than standard pond netting.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have some nice netting (Laguna brand) that's bigger than our pond and works well for the leaves from my cherry trees. The leaves fall off the trees before there's any ice on the pond. Once they are done falling, I pull the netting off with the leaves. I also use a fish net to remove leaves from the netting periodically, as the leaves fall.