• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plants with wood

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So, as someone new to plants thought I might ask a silly question. I know most, if not all varieties moss can attach to wood but can other plants attach to driftwood as well? As you can see from the pic these are the plants I'm attaching to driftwood got them from Becca a while back. (for got there names)
I see roots starting to wrap around the wood but don't know if I should remove the sewing thread I used to attach them or just let them degrade/ rot off. The other taller one in back is just pushed into a hole in the driftwood that I filled with some soil first.

Thanx in advance

Will,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404094267.697627.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
All types of java fern will grow on wood. Anubias is another plant commonly grown on wood. Mosses will also grow on the wood but may be more challenging to attach. You can attach these plants with thread or super glue.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
All types of java fern will grow on wood. Anubias is another plant commonly grown on wood. Mosses will also grow on the wood but may be more challenging to attach. You can attach these plants with thread or super glue.

I attached the one in front with thread any idea if it will attach in day weeks months or is that all dep on water nutrients etc etc

ddavila06

Members
that might be windelov java fern? hard to see, plus im so blind already..
there is a few kinds of mosses that do not attach, but most do. let the sewing thread rot on its own.

Becca

Members
Wow, that's going pretty good - I might have to mooch some back at some point.

I usually let the thread rot on its own. I've had valisneria attach to driftwood before, but I don't think it's all that common.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Wow, that's going pretty good - I might have to mooch some back at some point.

I usually let the thread rot on its own. I've had valisneria attach to driftwood before, but I don't think it's all that common.

Yea your welcome to. I'm down for any other random pieces you trim off again lol
What are the names? Sorry I forgot

Becca

Members
Honestly, I don't know.

I would call the one on the left "needle-leaf java fern" and the one on the right "lace java fern." Of course, that's based on the picture, which is a little fuzzy.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Here's a better pic there's a baby discus hiding in there lol
BB18D359-3CCF-4742-8FB2-2E4F8CC57189.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DE2D6064-AD2E-4855-A663-C06218252220.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]