• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pet Project 09 : Arapaima

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Lively

Members
Holey fish poop, batman! Didn't know what they were so I googled...That's one big fish - do they make aquatic pooper scoopers?

mrkillie

Members
LOL!:D
I remember learning about these fish on show that was on the National Geographic channel called Monster Fish of the Amazon.

I saw that, and it was illegal to catch them under 5 feet long because they aren't yet sexually mature and reproducing under 5 feet, so I hope those things are really big or someone's in a heap of trouble!

Of course, if they were captive bred, maybe that doesn't apply.

Joel

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If you want to see some live arapaima go to the National Zoo in DC, specifically to Amazonia. They have 4 adults of around 10 feet. Plus a juvenile of about 5 or six feet that is around a year old. And the young one is smart. We have been trying to catch him now for months to move him in with the adults. He is big enough now that he is eating his tank mates, which are or rather were nice fish themselves.

Frank

Lively

Members
I love that exhibit. I remember seeing the adults, didn't know what they were at the time - now I do!

Jumbie

Members
I think that I have heard from somewhere (possably from that tv show) that they have reports of them reaching 15ft!

mscichlid

Founder
There was a wonderful show on Nat Geo's Explorer that highlighted the species. You should have seen the amount of fry they produced! The fry would swarm together with their mouths open and eat everything in front of them.

Lively

Members
I was wondering about the fry - are they egglayers? How big are the fry? Maybe natgeo will have the show online... think i'm going to go look :)

mscichlid

Founder
PLEASE! PLEASE! Let me know if you find that show. I think it was called something like the Dry Season on the Equator.....

There were scenes of a lot of the SA species we keep. It also showed Arrowana jumping out of the water picking insects off of trees.

Lively

Members
I tried NatGeo and HuLu, didn't see anything. I'll keep looking - but I think they don't put them online because they sell the dvd on the show.

I read they actually need to breath air - facinating fish.