• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Penguin 350 or Emperor 400

Wblaze

Members
Hello All --

Do you know the major difference between the penguin 350 filter and the emperor 400? They look almost the same. IS there an advantage to spending the extra money on the emperor?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I believe the emporer has the ability to run two cartridges at a time per side. I think the flow rate is also higher than the 330.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think Andrew is correct that the 400 has a higher flow rate (and price tag as well). Not sure on the cartridges, as I have never owned a 400.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the Emperors have spray bars that spray the water on the bio wheels, while the Penguins do not. I also think that the Emperors are little more sturdy and have bigger filter pads, but cost more.

I've just retired a Penguin 150. I found the filter pads clogged very quickly. Also, I got tired of the splashing. (Will be selling it at a future auction. :) )

Plenipotentiary-at-large
They're the same

Both a lot noisier than AquaClears and require replacement cartridges unless you make your own. Whatever you do find yourself a foam pre-filter (not too dense) to put on the intake tube - much easier to clean than the pads inside, cuts down on the need to do so and really gives your mechanical-bio filtration a boost for next to nothing cost-wise.

KRUCIAN KING

Members
I dont mean to hijack your thread, but I bought a aqueon 55/75 hob filter and that thing kept me up all night that thing is noisy.(it was only 39 bucks on sale)

Hawkman2000

Members
The penguin can run 2 cartriges on each side as well, you just have to order them separatly. The 400 has a higher flow rate and has spray bars on the biowheels.

samsmobb

Members
New 350s have soray bar too I believe but I would deff recommend just get 2 penguin 200s . Spray bar breaks or clogs easily. Also a 400 uses E filters so 4pk-$17.99
And 300 and 200 use C filters 6pk -17.99
And also 200 and below models are sooo much more simple and reliable as oppose to 350 or 400.
My info comes from employment at petsmart :)
Currently 2-200s on my 75 gallon

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Qualified awesome methinks

YourFishStuff.com has an awesome deal on filter cartridges! And they're a sponsor and Great peeps too! :D

I like silent weapons that virtually never need reloading. For HOBs there's ACs and everything else. Do tell me if I'm wrong.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I've always had marinelands never used ACs. I was given a new 55 and went out and got an AC 110 for a try. I have both a 350 and a 400. The 400 is much older and noisier than the 350. I rarely hear the three year old 350 over the tv. I found YourFishStuff's cartridges to be the cheapest even through the mail with shipping. I think members get a discount too!

Now, whether one filter keeps the water cleaner or not? That may be an interesting discussion. A good friend prefers Marinelands to ACs but he uses modified sponges instead of the carbon cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shane

Members
IS there an advantage to spending the extra money on the emperor?

In my opinion no. My entire fishroom runs on Marineland and has for many, many years. I finally managed to wear out the very first one I ever bought (circa 1994 just two years ago). I have been such a fan of their filters that several people have asked if I get free stuff from them (I do not).
So as an avowed Marineland fan, believe me when I tell you that I do not care for the new Emperor 400s what-so-ever.
On returning to the States at the end of last year I ran out and bought three as I had wanted to try them ever since they hit the market.
They are very complex in their flow design and this leads to constant clogging and flow rate issues. They are the only filters in my fishroom that I regularly have to break completely down for routine maintenance. On average I would say I break them down every two weeks.
Because of the clogging issues they never maintain their "rated" 400 gph flow rate. I would be suprised if any of mine are moving 200 gph. I am also running several 350s and it is very clear that they are moving a lot more water than the higher gph rated 400s.
The positives: A better biowheel with more folds, they hold a lot of water (over a gallon) which slightly increases the tank's actual volume, they hold more media volume than a 350, and they are quieter than a 350.
Negatives: Very complex design that leads to clogging, require frequent breaking down for maintenance, and do not maintain their rated flow rate.
Lastly, the intake tube is square, which makes attaching a sponge prefilter impossible. I normally use them on all my filters.
-Shane

DSC_0003.jpg

hotwingz

Members
Ive always had AC's and had great luck (even when i was nieve to the fact of changing filters). And they are a lot quieter. On my 55 i went with a 350 and i havent had to do any maintenence and it runs great. I am still having clarity issues with my water. Havent had enough time with the 350 to argue against it. But i will stand behind AC filters anyday!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Taste

I found the old Emperor 400s to be reliable and effective - just noisy. If one has a dedicated fish-room I can see where that might be OK, but my tanks are all over the place and even then, optimally the only thing I really want to hear is the gentle movement of water. But the 400s are/were simple and as advertised. I came close to buying one of the new models off Ebay just to whether they'd improved on the noise issue - sorry to hear they messed them up.

Be interesting to see what the next generation of smallish high-end "plug-and-play" filters looks like - I'd like to see an Aquaclear "200" with an upgraded (bulletproof) impeller/drive unit, a quick release telescoping intake tube (with factory shipped sponge pre-filter), twice the width/media capacity and an adjustable bi-directional outflow plane. Might as well attach a drain plug valve that accepts standard 1/2 siphon hose.

Can't help but think that if we were really cool our filters would run across the top or entire length of the aquarium and function like miniature wetlands. I've seen some remarkable jerry-rigged affairs made out of various things (like inverted cast-off light hoods) that were just plain amazing but never anything like a standard production number. All that nutrient cycling going for naught - may as well get some hydroponic action going - raise fish and maybe strawberries at the same time. ¿Como no?

mrkillie

Members
They are very complex in their flow design and this leads to constant clogging and flow rate issues. They are the only filters in my fishroom that I regularly have to break completely down for routine maintenance. On average I would say I break them down every two weeks.

You must be doing something wrong, cause I have them on several tanks, started using them about 1 1/2 years ago, and I have never broken them down. If you have the spray bars clogging, then your cartridges have been in too long. If you change the cartridges frequently (more than 1 x month) then you are over feeding or over crowding, or both. The only flow problems I have come when the intake gets clogged from plant matter in the tank. And the flow thru the spraybars is not all that complex at all really.

And yes, I have been using the Marineland filters for many years, in fact, some people on this forum have asked me if I work for them (I do not). I would not buy a Penguin again-the Emperors are much better with the spray bar because it keeps the biowheel moving, even when the cartridge gets clogged. The biowheel will stop on Penguins if the cartridges get clogged, as the flow gets partially diverted to the center area where the tube enters the filter box.

Shane

Members
You must be doing something wrong, cause I have them on several tanks, started using them about 1 1/2 years ago, and I have never broken them down. If you have the spray bars clogging, then your cartridges have been in too long. If you change the cartridges frequently (more than 1 x month) then you are over feeding or over crowding, or both. The only flow problems I have come when the intake gets clogged from plant matter in the tank. And the flow thru the spraybars is not all that complex at all really.

Out of curiosity, what size tanks are you using yours on and what is the fish population? I am going to guess you are not keeping fishes that produce lots of waste. I am running these on 40 gallon breeders, each with a spawning colony of loricariids.
I do not use the Marineland cartridges, so not a factor. I use custom cut pieces of Poret Foam in their place. The provided (gray) media trays I filled with ceramic bio-cylinders. Both the sponges and media trays are rinsed with every weekly water change of 60%. The clogging is mainly due to the high volume of loricariid "sawdust," which is hard on any filter buy particularly seems to clog these ones up.
If I only had one of these I would be willing to say that maybe I just bought a lemon, however, I am running three and all of them experience frequent clogging.
This clogging does not happen with the Penguin 350s.
-Shane

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sense and sensibility/divine comedy

The 400 is much older and noisier than the 350. I rarely hear the three year old 350 over the tv.

QED. I haven't owned a tv in over 20 years since in my estimation most of what they really do is fill the air with largely vacuous stupefying noise - if one can abide that, I can see where the volume level on an Emp would seem inconsequential.

You must be doing something wrong....

Darn it Shane - I was so enjoying the presumption that you're merely incompetent and envisioning the nexus for such exalted wisdom on Siluriformes as a dysfunctional MickeyMouse/Rube Goldberg type enterprise. How dare you imply that you actually have your sh*t together?!
:D

Hawkman2000

Members
I wish Hagen made another line of HOBs that were identical to the ACs but had a biowheel. They would have to change the design a bit to accomidate for it, but I would switch out my 350 in a heartbeat. The lack of maintanance on the ACs is awsome. I just like having the biowheel for the added biofiltration.

I got tired of throwing away money on the rite size cartridges. So I cut pieces of foam and filter cloth, and put it in their. Works fantastic, but I have to clean the filtercloth once a week. Its not that bad, but I haven't had to touch my AC 20 in 3 monghs.