• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pelmatochromis buettikoferi spawn

dogofwar

CCA Members
A got a bag of 6 these West African cichlids for a song at the AquaMania Rare Fish Auction and dropped them into a 2'x2'x1' tank with some grow out Madagascar cichlids and some goodeids.

Lo and behold, a pair formed in one back corner of the tank... I could tell that something was going on but saw wigglers bumping around yesterday evening. They're doing a good job of keeping the other fish away, so I'll give them the chance to raise some.

The fish are only 2-2.5" (male a bit larger) and in a tank with a little pool filter sand, some pieces of driftwood, flowerpots, plastic plants and an anubias. Filtration is a box and a sponge filter. Temp is about 80F (one of my few tanks with a heater).

What's ironic is that I got a bag of larger ones last year and have been growing them out in a 55g with some other fish...planning to get around to giving them their own tank for spawning. The ones from last year are a solid 5-6" fish now.

Here's some info and what they look like (not to be confused with Tilapia buettikoferi which is a black and yellow big, mean fish).

http://cichlidae.us/pelmatochromis-buettikoferi/

I've also kept and spawned (but never able to raise fry from) P. nigrofasciatus.

I took some really bad pictures that I'll try to post eventually.

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Congrats, Matt! I picked up four pelmatochromis ocelifer from Rapps. They are in quarantine. Pelmatochromis is a very under rated cichlid.