• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Peacock Paradise, 75 gallon

the white rock in the back is only temp, just weight down some wood, this is tank with all equipment, all fits nice but you see the powerhead for the CO2 a little too much
need to finish planting tomorrow, may even try a little stauro porto velho on the right hand foreground, not sure if the lighting/CO2 will be enough as its med lighting at best, 2 65 watt coralife power compact with 6 month old bulbs and the worst reflectors I have ever seen aside from plain white ones.. looks like brushed aluminum
DSCN9860_01.jpg

DSCN9859_01.jpg

DSCN9858_01.jpg

tomorrow will do all the anubias and ferns, there will be alot of them....

Driftwood is great.
I wouldn't personally use C02 in an African tank. It's not necessary, either, as I've found out with my planted tanks recently.
Is this an all male tank? Is that a black molly?

CO2 being necessary is dependent on lighting/ species you plan to grow

for this amount of light, without proper CO2 and Fertilization, this tank would be an algae nightmare

the substrate is 2/3 onyx sand by seachem, which will slighty raise KH, also the white in the rocks in calcium based this again will raise KH/PH and should add enough buffering that the drop is PH is minimul

also the lighting is not too strong where I would have to have really high CO2, some of my high tech tanks are way over 30ppm, so I can make the CO2 and ferts non limiting, therefore being able to maximize the species/growth with this amount of light/ while not effecting the personality/activity levels in the fish

this is not an all male tank, I do not sell the fry/juvies tho as they may be mutts, even tho most aulonocara are not pure bred anyway IMO

yes those are black mollies, 2 black mollies, 1 full grown brustlenose plec and 3 baby BN plecs maybe 1"TL, I may also add some nerites if I get diatoms from NTS, hopefully a mature filter and a used tank will keep that from happening. Normally I keep shrimp for algae, however in this situation, they would be eaten

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I like it. Be tempted to cluster and invert the driftwood myself - like some place that's flooded.

I dismantled a Coralife T5 dual strip light last night and discovered the "reflector" is a paper-thin strip of foil. On top of that, the housing is press-fit which essentially makes it impossible to repair when something goes amiss. Don't think I'll be buying anymore of Coralife T5 strip lights...

Mikey -- I mention it only because I recently discontinued C02 in my main planted tank and never started it in my African tank, and just reduced the light intensity (shut off one bulb) and use Excel. This is the result. I decided to try and simplify my life . . .

tank3.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Other than the fact that my fishroom is only lit with a couple of dangling 13W flourescent bulbs...and I have a brown thumb, I could totally grow plants like that Holly...

Tony's planted tank has continued to fill with plants after taking CO2 off as well.

Looks great!

Matt

DSCN9443.jpg

that is the tank they came from, no CO2 or excell, even had nice growth out of the crypt parva, originally I had a DIY co2 thing in there but never used it

its just due to the more delicate species I plan on growin in here they will need CO2, if I was just doing ferns, anubias, and other lower light plants I would not be adding CO2 or Aquasoil

normally tho I am the guy who keep fish with his plants, not plants with his fish :D

here are some examples of other tanks of mine
5 gallon
DSCN8003_01-1.jpg

20L that is currently my main planted tank as I am doing alot of emersed setups this summer
DSCN9757.jpg

this tank before rescape
DSCN6465_01.jpg

the aulonocara tank is only about 1/2 planted right now, it will be pretty dense when finished and grown in ... I am interested to see how the cichlids deal with the scape when all is finished

DSCN9861.jpg

round 2 of planting, still have another gallon baggie full of anubias and ferns, and a coupla small crypts, then it should be pretty much finished

the whole back will be a wall of ferns.. should look pretty cool behind the DW and rocks, I will need a little additional light behind the wood on the left as the DW sticks up too high and I cant get proper coverage, but I will only need 1 bulb of T-5 NO to grow the ferns that will be back there so NBD.. should be able to pick something up cheap

londonloco

Members
Your tanks are beautiful. I have one "hi-tech" planted tank that is the bane of my existence. I'm not giving up on it tho.....