• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pat's Fishroom

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Most of you have seen pictures of my room but here goes nothing.

Before you go in on the left there is a little storage. I wonder what type of food I use.
room1.jpg

Air supply. (not the old music group)
room2.jpg

On the left as you go in. Lower tanks are 55's, middle row are 20H's
room4.jpg

Upper same side.
room3.jpg

Bottom right.
room5.jpg

Top right
room6.jpg

Back of room. 33L's on top, 40L's on middle row and 40B's on bottom. Dehumidifier on the floor.
room7.jpg

In the next room. Not fishroom I know but- 150 on top and 2-29's on the bottom.
room8.jpg

Another tank upstairs.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I liked the way my fish pictures come out with black back grounds. Figured the blue would also look out of place in the club room I guess.

Charlutz

Members
Nice room, Pat. One question about your rack construction -- are the horizontal beams merely supported by the bolts going through the vertical posts? I was taught that was a no-no and that the fasteners should merely hold everything in place and not be load bearing. I was taught to double the vertical 2x4's so that the horizontal beams could rest on them, like this:

IMG_6545.jpg

Yes, I know the tank and room are dirty. It's a storage room. :D

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yes, thats only the bolts... I did not know anybetter when I did this.
But, I have been into fishrooms with nothing but nails holding it also. I have the 1/2" bolts through the wood. Its not going anywhere. So far its been 16 years. I have 2x4 doubled uprights bolted together to make it 4x4 and 2x6 horizontals. Also the end vertical boards are bolted to the floor joists for the floor above them so they will not sway also.
If I were to do it again, I would change it some.
When I built the stand for the 150, I started with 4x4 uprights and notched them so the 2x6
cross pieces sit on them.

I have many ideas of what I would want to do if I ever move but that may never happen. The room is 9 x 16. I would want at least 20x20 if I ever do this again. I have all the plans in my head... I dream about it at night.... LOL....Oh well :smashfreakB:

Charlutz

Members
16 years, I guess that's proven the test of time. :jumpy: (Where's the thumbs up emoticon?) All of us DIYers have things we'd do differently once we learned from doing it the first time or second time or tenth time. :D There are changes I'd make to that stand in the pic I posted, even though the design is exceedingly simple. I'm currently replacing the pump and building a different WD on my big tank even though I spent a lot of time planning and building the one that is on there now. :angry:

BTW, if you think it would be of interest to the club, I could lead a discussion on DIY projects like building stands, canopies, wet drys as well as smaller things like fry containers. I won't need much lead time to prepare as it would be workshop style so I could just be a fill in if we don't get superstar guests for the Fall. No need to let me know now. The offer is there and I am sure I can learn things from others who have come up with their own solutions/improvements. Charlie

fishboy11

Members
Someday my fishroom will look close to that. Next project is closing the actual room off.

Pat, could u get some tank shots? Maybe a list of what is in those tanks...Especially peacocks!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
9 X 16
I wish it was bigger.
I also wish I had built it for 18" tanks instead of the 12s.

I have a good amount of space in the middle but I like being able to sit down and see them.
Don't want the rows too close.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Great room Pat!!! I had the privilege to visit your Fishroom and then join CCA.

Thanx Pat!

Oh by the way, your 150g is Awesome!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
OMG!

Since I just moved to a new house and have a lot more room, I was thinking of setting up a bank of breeders to get my feet wet. I was looking for ideas and picks and came across this post.

I know this is an old post, but having just gotten on here and seen it for the first time, I am just awestruck.

Wait until I show my fiance this post... she may hunt you down Pat, for putting ideas like this in my head.

You are the man. :happy0158:

Tony

dogofwar

CCA Members
"Wait until I show my fiance this post..."

On one hand that's "full disclosure"...on the other, sometimes its better to "boil the frog" as they say (add a couple of tanks to the room over time until...low and behold you have a fish room :)

Sonny Disposition

I can definitely recommend the boiling the frog approach.

Nice fishroom Pat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Sep 17 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"Wait until I show my fiance this post..."

On one hand that's "full disclosure"...on the other, sometimes its better to "boil the frog" as they say (add a couple of tanks to the room over time until...low and behold you have a fish room :)[/b]