• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Parasitic Synodontis petricola....

tremper

Members
I've recently seen my group of 6 S. petricola "grazing" on some larger 6" fish in my 125. Upon closer examination I see some actual sores on the fish that seem to be the result and point of interest for the synos. Not sure if this was caused by the synos but it seems like it is. All of them at this point are pretty much harrasing and "grazing" on the group fish in mid water, following them around, harassing them.

I keep the fish on the hungirer side due to a regular travel schedule so maybe they;re just hungry?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts regarding this.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Very interesting. Probably just attracted by the blood from the sores.

Melafix might help to heal the sores. Or salt.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have not seen this happen with my synos, but I did see it happen to a rainbow cichlid in another tank. It had a wound that was worsened by constant picking by some swordtails. I had to remove the fish from the tank to get it to heal.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've seen it with cichlid fry (on one or both parents). Can result in some nasty wounds, if the fish being picked on isn't moved and allowed to heal.

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Yep. Which reminds me, our last speaker recommended one of Dr. Tim's products for replenishing damaged slime coat. Does anyone remember which product it was? Seems like it'd be a great thing to use in a situation like this once the affected fish was isolated.

Digital

Members
Yep. Which reminds me, our last speaker recommended one of Dr. Tim's products for replenishing damaged slime coat. Does anyone remember which product it was? Seems like it'd be a great thing to use in a situation like this once the affected fish was isolated.

I think it was Dr. Tim's First Defense.

Marlin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App