• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

P. taneatus finally getting it right...

JasonC

Members
So after several tries to get their spawns past free swimmer state, think my P. taneatus "lokundje" are finally getting it right. Their current spawn is down to 6 (mostly cause they were poorly timed, and I am not trying to feed them as I should), but this pair has become absolutely brutal to anything that even looks cross eyed at their kids. They take about 10-20 second shifts where one hovers over the fry, and the other beats the crap out of the pack of bleeding heart tetras in the tank, and then they swap positions. I'm really glad that I floated some plants I got in the PVAS auction in the tank right before they laid down this batch of eggs... think it is the only reason the tetras are still alive. Need to hit the tank with some Pimafix and Melafix as they are looking *real* rough.

These pelvicachromis are some mean cusses... I am amazed at how well coordinated their defense is... need to get them into their own tank as a breeding project soon...

On another note, sexing juvies.. I have a few juvies from a previous spawn that are, I think, of sexable age. What do you all look for as tell tale signs of gender? I know that once they get the spots on their caudal, its a guarantee of being a male... but what about female? I have a couple w/ lateral stripes... is that a sign of female, or just mood?

chriscoli

Administrator
Congrats! Their awesome parenting ability is part of what I love so much about that genus. I had a pair of common kribs clear 2/3 of a 55 gallon tank....the heckelii, krobia, and jewels were all hovering up in the corner.

As for sexing them, it really depends on the type. Many will have one or more spots show up early in the dorsal fin of the females, but not all do that. Yes for Moliwe (very easy to tell when really young) and most common kribs (some lines are missing them), not so obvious for Nigeria reds (males can also have deceptive dorsal spots), Lobe seem to show up later....by then you can already kinda tell which are males.

Watch yours and let us know what the pattern is for them!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App