• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Over crowding an aquarium

Cichlidfever

Members
Do anybody know what is a general rule for knowing how many large cichlids that you can add to an aquarium before overcrowding it? Is there some type of measure per gallon? I know that there will be a set of different circumstances for everyone, but I am just talking a general rule of thumb...

F8LBITE

Members
I think the rule of thumb is to not let your nitrates get too high before doing a water change. Over filtrate and change water regularly and thats mainly it.

iamzrad

Members
^+1.

As long as your nitrates are down and there is ample room for the fish to move around, you're good.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm not a fan of overcrowding big, new world cichlids.

Crowding haps, mbuna, peacocks, and other Malawi fish is a good way to control aggression.

Crowding guapotes is a good way to have a bunch of raggedy fish that don't ever settle down to breed.

For either, you need to do lots and lots of water changes and have tons of filtration.

Ithink you can overcrowd a little more with african cichlids. The level of agression that CA/SA cichlids have is too much! They will constantly fight.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I'm not a fan of overcrowding big, new world cichlids.

Crowding haps, mbuna, peacocks, and other Malawi fish is a good way to control aggression.

Crowding guapotes is a good way to have a bunch of raggedy fish that don't ever settle down to breed.

For either, you need to do lots and lots of water changes and have tons of filtration.
:jumpy: WELL PUT:jumpy: