• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oscar Info

zackcrack00

Members
I am considering turning my 75-gallon New World. I did some research, and I am considering two Oscar fish. I will change the substrate to gravel in stead of crushed coral, and get a larger piece of driftwood. What do you guys think? Does anyone here keep Oscars? There isn't much info on them here on the forums, so I was going to attempt to PM a few Oscar keepers. I really like the friendliness towards the owner/keeper from the fish, and it would be cool to have a fish that semi-recognizes me. If you have any other stocking suggestions, please, fire away.
-Zack

Forester

Members
A 75g is too small for even one oscar. You should consider some of the smaller new world such as apistos, herichthys, and many other different new world species.

spazmattik

Members
pretty sure 125 is usually a minimum for a pair (full grown at least). A combination of size, how dirty they are, and they can be rough on each other make it a bit much for a 75. You may be able to get away with an oscar and something smaller...like...not an oscar :p a convict or salvini maybe?

Anyways, they are great fish. Everyone in the hobby should own one at least once. They are obviously common but if you are patient and shop around a bit you can find some with really cool markings. Ive seen some recently I wish I could have bought. One particular albino had a huge X in the middle of his body. Really cool pattern..
Heres my big tank boss..

oscar.jpg

You could do as I do and buy two smallish oscars then use their growth as a great excuse to NEED a bigger tank. Here's how it goes in my house
Me- honey I need a new tank right away
Wife-why
Me- because silly me bought way to many fish and they are growing way bigger than I thought they would (wink wink)
Wife-why don't you get rid of the fish
Me-when bailey (our daughter) needed a bigger room we didn't get rid of her.
Wife-what are you going to do with the one you have?
Me-I will sell it when I set up the new tank
*Deviously thinking to myself "yeah right, more like buy some more small fish that will eventually grow and give me a new reason for another bigger tank". Que dr. Evil laugh

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
then again looking at my 75, 1 oscar would be pushing it :p Dan's plan is legit if your mom goes for it in the long run haha.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Oscars are great fish, a 75 is a bit tight for 2. Maybe 1 will be ok but you will need some serious filtration.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A full grown Oscar is too much for a 75 in my opinion. Too often, we don't see the full potential of these fish as they are usually kept in tanks that are way too small. If anyone remembers back to the ACA we hosted and DQ's Oscar he put in the show, it was so big that it completely filled up the 20 high it was in.

There are many other good options for personable New Worlds for a 75. I'm fond of centrarchus, but there are many others that would fit the bill quite nicely. I'd guess that getting a 6 foot tank set up in the near future isn't in the cards for you quite yet.

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks for the input! Lucas and I had talked about an Amazon biotope, Discus, L number plecs, ember tetras (one of my FAVORITE fish), and a school of cory cats. What about that??? Africans are actually starting to get boring. A while ago someone posted a picture of this AWESOME pair of New Worlds with TONS of color... I think he may have called them La'ceiba something... what do you guys think?

EDIT: Just found this. What are these? They are gorgeous!

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19109

Last edited:

blkmjk

Members
You could get away with a RTM pair for a little while. But when the male hits 6-7" all bets are off. He could snap. Better off with nice thorichthys or fire mouth like species I Elliotie believe would work well.

Drew

uploadfromtaptalk1386161601366.jpg

DBLN8

Members
1 Oscar can live in a 75gl with no tank mates and min decorations.
The tank will require very heavy filtration and WC when nitrates reach 20ppm, mine grew to 13" in a 75gl (48" x 18" footprint)with 2 fluval 405 and twice weekly 50-60% WC(pic in avatar). I have since moved him into a 120 with the 2 fluvals and added a 30gl sump. the bigger tank allowed me add a school of large silver Dollars.

They are the classic wet pet.

zackcrack00

Members
You could get away with a RTM pair for a little while. But when the male hits 6-7" all bets are off. He could snap. Better off with nice thorichthys or fire mouth like species I Elliotie believe would work well.

Drew

What's the fish in the pic? Could I have tankmates with the ones you mentioned?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
the fish is a parachromis motaguensis aka red tiger mota. A pair could be cept in a 75 for most of it's life. If you have a pair defenitely no tank mates. They will kill them fast.

I have recently gotten some l number plecs and I highly recomend them. Even though it is so freakin hard to get them to eat!

I also have a breeding pair of nandopsis salvini (female in my avatar) and I have had so much fun with them. Their colors are incredible! And best of all, they would work in a 75.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The picture that Drew posted is thorichthys ellioti. You could keep a pair (or multiple pairs) in a 75 with some larger non-cichlids. My experience with thorichthys is that they do better if they are the only cichlids in the tank. They are too aggressive to keep with most dwarfs but not robust enough to keep with larger central americans unless you have a big tank with plenty of space to hide.

I wouldn't recommend a pair of motaguense in a 75 for a beginner with centrals. They can be highly aggressive and more than likely would end up with a dead female eventually.

blkmjk

Members
the fish is a parachromis motaguensis aka red tiger mota. A pair could be cept in a 75 for most of it's life. If you have a pair defenitely no tank mates. They will kill them fast.

I also have a breeding pair of nandopsis salvini (female in my avatar) and I have had so much fun with them. Their colors are incredible! And best of all, they would work in a 75.

Dan,

How big are your salvini? I had A 8" male that killed a female in 155 gallon community tank. He had tons of other targets no provocation he just B Lined and bullied her relentlessly until she perished. Personally I would not recommend them in a 75 long term but in this hobby how many people keep fish long term???

Like wise with the RTM I have kept them @12+" they are monsters... Not 75 gallon material long term. But then again how long is that? I would say your good for year maybe longer.

The picture that Drew posted is thorichthys ellioti. You could keep a pair (or multiple pairs) in a 75 with some larger non-cichlids. My experience with thorichthys is that they do better if they are the only cichlids in the tank. They are too aggressive to keep with most dwarfs but not robust enough to keep with larger central americans unless you have a big tank with plenty of space to hide.

I wouldn't recommend a pair of motaguense in a 75 for a beginner with centrals. They can be highly aggressive and more than likely would end up with a dead female eventually.

+1 although I think you could go with some robust convicts or neets for tank mates at least with the fire mouths.

Drew