• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oscar going insane???

rich_one

Members
So, my large, albino tiger oscar is repeatedly attacking the heater. If he breaks it... dead. I'm not sure why he's doing it, or how to stop him from doing it. At the moment, I don't have any decor I can use to block him from it, that I can think of. Any suggestions on how to stop him? I have a feeling I'm simply going to have to find something to block him from getting to it.

-Rich

dogofwar

CCA Members
Oscars are gonna do what they're gonna do!

Simplest thing is to block off the part of the tank with the heater with a piece of eggcrate...

Then you can either buy or build a heater guard. Basically a piece of PVC with a bunch of holes in it.

Matt

rich4297

Members
I put my heater in the sump I don't know if you have one. Also my heater is made of metal or something that looks like metal so they can't break it. I think it's a heatpro it works fantastic but pretty expensive. It's also really small and slim if it was in the tank you would barley notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Someone makes universal heater covers. Oscars are known to attack heaters and filters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
Make a small air jet tube large enough to cover the heater out of pvc. to hide the heater and circulate the heated water. Haven't made one but it seems pretty simple fix. My big flower horn destroys thermometers. Not quite sure why?

Drew

rich_one

Members
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. I mean, I'm sitting here watching him, and thinking "Dude... you are definitely going to electrocute yourself, and everyone else in the tank!" LOL...

-Rich

Hawkman2000

Members
Make a small air jet tube large enough to cover the heater out of pvc. to hide the heater and circulate the heated water. Haven't made one but it seems pretty simple fix. My big flower horn destroys thermometers. Not quite sure why?

Drew

Good idea. You could even put sponge filter on the bottom and make it a bio-filter/heatr-jet in one. Gunna have to remember this one.