• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Opinions and Suggestions for new 75 gallon tank

maramc

Members
Moving forward with my plans to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank and wanted to pick your minds for any opinions you have on several topics. This is quite a size jump for me. Current stock is in 29g.

The goal is to have a stocked 75 gallon african cichlid tank that is aesthetically pleasing and up and running by the first week in December. Leaning forwards the all male tank for the coloration. I currently have juveniles- German red peacock, Blue neon fluorescent peacock, Clown lab, Strawberry peacock, Bushy nose pleco, Cherry red zebra (2), Yellow lab, Blue acei and Demisoni.

Opting for 75 vs 55 gallon. Have seen over and over ppl wishing they had gone bigger than 55. Still watching CL for a tank, but have options at LFS if something doesn't come up Plan to build own stand.

Equipment - 75 gal tank with light and canopies (NTB) , penguin bio wheel 330 HOB, sponge filter, additional filter (NTB), and 200 watt heater (NTB). I plan to build a 3d background and will have stacked rocks as final decor.

Questions:
1. If I just transfer current fish, substrate, decor and filters from 29 gallon with treated water, there should not be a cycling problem, right? As I understand it, the process is one filter gets moved over to empty tank for a few days, then everything else can be moved over shortly after. Correct?

2. Suggestions on total stocking levels numbers initially and ultimately for tank size? Suggestions on good tank mates? Thoughts on using new tank before transfer of current stock as a quarantine tank for new fish or is that a bad idea?

3. Spend the money for canister filter (Fluval 306?) over a 48 inch modular LED light and 2nd HOB?

4. Any sense in planning caves nearer to top of tank in 3d background? Will they use them?

Interested to see any suggestions or opinions on the best way to do this. I know my questions span several different forum topics, but as I'm in the purchase the equipment phase now, I opted for "equipment".

Mara

chriscoli

Administrator
1. Yes, you've got it! Feed lightly after the move and watch your ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure all is going well and you should be fine.

2. There are others on the forum MUCH better at this than I am....I'll defer to them.

3. Some folks love canisters....I'm leaning away from them. I've seen some tanks set up without canisters, but with lots of HOB action that are doing well. I'd definitely spend the money on filtration though....especially with Mbuna.

4. Yep, they'll definitely get used!

mchambers

Former CCA member
As to 3, canister filters, it's up to you. As Christine writes, some folks (like me) love them and others (like Matt Quinn) think they are the devil incarnate and should be avoided at all costs.

Assuming you want to add a canister, you needn't give up on the modular LED light. If you look around on Craigslist or Ebay, you can find good quality canisters at a sizeable discount. For example, look at Avatar's liquidation sale thread, where he just listed an Eheim 2224. In theory, that could handle a 75 gallon by itself, but I'd pair it with the HOB that you're moving.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Only dirty canisters are the devil...clean ones are saintly ;) I don't like them because canisters are a PITA to clean...and thus tend to get cleaned much less than they should.

Where we differ in opinion is whether the stuff that builds up on the filter pads and media in the canister (or other filters) is inert (maybe beneficial!)...or whether it's rotting poop and food that is deleterious to water quality.

I'd combine a HOB and a canister (with a pre-filter) on a 75g full of Africans. Or a sump (if you get a drilled tank). And clean them frequently :lol:

Matt

As to 3, canister filters, it's up to you. As Christine writes, some folks (like me) love them and others (like Matt Quinn) think they are the devil incarnate and should be avoided at all costs.

Assuming you want to add a canister, you needn't give up on the modular LED light. If you look around on Craigslist or Ebay, you can find good quality canisters at a sizeable discount. For example, look at Avatar's liquidation sale thread, where he just listed an Eheim 2224. In theory, that could handle a 75 gallon by itself, but I'd pair it with the HOB that you're moving.

WendyFish

Members
I am not a fan of HOBs. Maybe it is my setup but they always end up noisy as they splash a little from their perch to the water line. Canisters are almost silent which I value since my tanks are in my main living area.

ezrk

Members
On a 75g two biggish filters (either canisters or HOB) should be fine for Mbuna, three is probably overkill. I do really like have two filters though as it is much more reliable.