• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ooopsie

DeeCee

Members
Ever have one of "THOSE" days in the fishroom?
I thought I was going to go downstairs be a white tornado & get tanks clean & all the filters cleaned and the algae scraped
~and then~
When I was cleaning the 220, the center bracket broke and the glass lids fell in!

Now I guess I need to find new trim for the entire tank in order to get a good center brace? Yikes!
I'm kinda afraid to fill the tank up again; I don't want to put too much stress on it where the tank bows & cracks?

DC

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Donna, That actually happened to me, but with a 55 gallon. I still used the tank with out the center piece for about 2-3 months, but if I were you I wouldn't do that. After a while the tank begins to bow out and you really don't know when it could burst due to the weight. And that is a pretty big tank you have there and I wouldn't take any chances.

Anyways, In order to replace the trim you will have to order a new one at the LFS, but remember to give them the name of the manufacturer of the tank, otherwise it won't fit properly. Then you have to empty the tank, remove the old trim and clean the edges of the glass good with a razor blade. I think it is recommended to buy the silicone to put inside the trim when you place it on top of the tank so it holds. Also, It's going to be nerve racking because you have to be careful not break the glass walls when applying the the trim on top. You might need some help to do that because one person alone for that size tank might be too much.

Nevertheless, the trim piece you order might not fit perfectly and you will have to live with it for a while, but the important thing is the brace is on and that will hold the tank together. It can be a pain in the you know what....but Good Luck.

Oh by the way, you might want to consider changing your Avatar picture because I always confuse you with Amanda.

Just a thought.

Take Care!

maddog10

Members
Have Ron put a small ratchet strap around the top of the tank (following the trim). This would be a temporary fix until the new frame came in.

DeeCee

Members
Ah, the ratchet strap sounds like a nice temporary fix, Mike! I have some left that I should be able to use too.
As long as I don't pull them too tight and and crack it myself I guess, eh? :wacko:

All kinds of good advice here, thanks! I'll go down today & measure out the tank & see what I can find to order trim.
Oh, I'm sure that Ron will help with putting the new trim on the tank so it's done right. At least there are only 3
fish in the tank, along with some rocks and driftwood and sand, so it won't be too hard to empty.

I have to admit I was worried about that center bracket, as it seemed pretty flimsy before it broke.
Guess I should have dome something about it BEFORE that happened.

DC

PS--OK, ok! I haven't had that discus for a year! I changed it to a Ruti Island male that I'm particularly fond of.
Hope the avatar change took, but I can't see it yet.

DeeCee

Members
The new Avatar looks great![/b]
Ha! Thanks! Not a very good picture of him unfortunately. I think he's gorgeous though. His female was holding last week, but the silly girl swallowed.
I'm hoping to end up with some fry from him though. He sure loves to strut his stuff!

DC