• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Old world stocking suggestions....46 bowfront

dlfn1

Members
hi everyone,
setting up my 46 bowfront and would like to get some input on stocking.
i'd like to put some yellow labs in there (husband likes them),
what should i put with them?
i'm ok w/ male and female.
# for each species? m/f ratio?

filtration is a cascade 700 canister filter rated at 185gph
i can increase filtration if necessary as i have a few HOB's lying around.
substrate is tahitian moon sand

verbal

CCA Members
I think rusties might be a good combination with yellow labs. I think you want something relatively peaceful that stays under 5". With a bigger tank(like a 75) you would have a lot more options.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Good to see you around again, Dawn. Hope the left coast is treating you well. :)

For peacocks, try a group of 6-8 juveniles. The smaller/more mild ones would be best in a 46 - maylandi, kandeense, or stuartgrantis. You could probably get away with two males in the long run (2M/4+ females ideally). They do well with yellow labs. My sister has a setup with maylandi and it's pretty nice.

If you wanted to do mbuna, probably start with 8-10 of each as well and see what happens. Labs/rusties are tough to sex - even when they're adults, so general starting advice is to buy a bunch and pull extra males if/when they start getting their butts kicked.

In a 36" tank, I wouldn't do much more than the two species of cichlids - though a few petricolas would be a nice addition.

dlfn1

Members
thanks for the input everyone.
haha, chad!
tony, left coast is treating me ok. still looking for a job. in the meantime.... set up aquariums, walk the dog a lot and enjoy not having a real winter. :)
found some one w/ some stuartgranti ngara flametail, hopefully they still have some left, if so it'll be those and the labs.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
tony, left coast is treating me ok. still looking for a job. in the meantime.... set up aquariums, walk the dog a lot and enjoy not having a real winter. :)
found some one w/ some stuartgranti ngara flametail, hopefully they still have some left, if so it'll be those and the labs.

Sounds like it's not too bad. :)

Ngara flametails should work. I kept my group (2M/5F) in a 40B for a while and they were fine. Had them in with rusties for a bit, but eventually the rusties took over and sort of oppressed the male peacock. After I moved the mbuna out, things returned to normal. Rusties are more aggressive than yellow labs though, so I think you'll be fine.

dlfn1

Members
2m and 5f + some rusties in a 40B, that seems like a lot of fish in that tank.
i know overstocking is good, trying to get use to it. :)

so 2m/4f for both the labs and peacocks in the 46?
the guy still has some flametails, might pick them up this weekend. what are the odds i'll get the exact ratio of m/f only getting 6 juvies? hahaha.

verbal

CCA Members
You might get 10 if possible. The nice thing about peacocks and haps is that people are always looking for males for all male set-ups.

dlfn1

Members
I'll probably get 10 since it's either $3 a piece or 10 for $20. Picking them up tomorrow.

I bought some caribsea geo marine florida crushed coral with aragonite to put in the canister filter. I did this a couple days ago and now the water smells like wet cement.
I've not used coral/aragonite in a tank before, is this normal?
I'm not using any carbon in the filter which I would think would take the smell out, possibly.

dlfn1

Members
picked up the fish....guy gave me 12 for $20, so hopefully there's a male somewhere in there. :) probably about 1.5 in right now. they are all huddled together in the front corner.

dlfn1

Members
pic

tanks still a little cloudy.
here's a pic of the little guys, not too great since they are pretty small and blend in to the black sand and background. :)

IMG_2613.jpg