• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October 2019 Meeting - Bill Shields

chriscoli

Administrator
The next club meeting is October 12th, 2019.

We'll have Bill Shields speak, speaking on "Collecting in Puerto Maldonado Peru."

Remember, this meeting is NOT AT THE USUAL MEETING SITE.

We'll be meeting nearby, at Glenallan Elementary School

Address:
12520 Heurich Road, Silver Spring, MD 20902

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Speaker's Bio:

Bill Shields, a lifelong aquarium fish hobbyist who started keeping fish at the ripe old age of six, grew up in South Florida in the 1950's. During his youth, Bill's entrepreneurial streak had him collecting guppies and mollies from the town park's pond and trading them with the local fish store for other fish and supplies. After college and various jobs, Bill finally started working "officially" in the pet trade as a salesman, store manager and then, finally, general manager of three Docktor Pet Centers in the Harrisburg, PA area. During this time, an invitation to attend and join the Susquehanna Aquarium Society in 1974 became his formal introduction into the organized portion of the hobby. Not long after joining, he became Vice-President, President, and then member of the Board of the Directors; later he was named Hobbyist of the Year in 1976. After joining the American Killifish Association (AKA) in 1974, he realized he had jumped to the next level of the hobby.

After a hiatus from the pet trade--during which he was an elephant handler and midwife for 27 Asian elephant births-- Bill's avocation became his vocation. His aquarium fish expertise earned him a position as a professional fish breeder at 5 -D Tropical Inc, an ornamental fish production and import/export facility, in Plant City, Florida where he worked from 1995 until retirement in 2010. Finding no organized fish club in Tampa, FL, Bill's life came full circle as he and eight other fish keepers founded the Tampa Bay Aquarium Society (TBAS; website: tbas1.com ) in 1992. Bill remains active with the TBAS and other hobbyist organizations. He has served on the committees for two national AKA conventions, in 2000 & 2006, as well as the 2009 North American Native Fish Association (NANFA) and the 15th World Guppy Contest 2015 all held in the Tampa area. In addition, Bill manages the annual Aquarium Beautiful Competition for the Florida State Fair. And as a bucket list trip travelled to Iquitos Peru in 2009 with seven of his long time fish friends and returned in 2017 with his fish friend Brian Skidmore to Puerto Maldanado,Peru going with Go Wild Peru. He maintains 960 gals from 125 gal to 5 ½ gal and a 20,000 gal Koi pond.

1569615982678.png

mchambers

Former CCA member
Will there be a mini-auction or a marketplace? (I can't believe I have to ask this five days before the meeting.)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Will there be a mini-auction or a marketplace? (I can't believe I have to ask this five days before the meeting.)
Mini auction. It would've been stated if there was going to be a marketplace since that is not the norm. Will likely be a marketplace in November.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Given how randomly it switches back and forth, you really need to state it (as CCA did last month).

I agree with you Matt, but when I click on the home page it lists the schedule. It shows raffles and mini-auction. I'm not sure if that is just my computer which has different access or whatnot.

lkelly

Members
Interesting speaker, and quite the intro. Having been the midwife for only 25 Aisian elephant births myself, I am amazed at his accomplishments.

rsretep

Members
Can someone explain the marketplace? I have been away for awhile and there was always an auction at every meeting that I recall in the past

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Interesting speaker, and quite the intro. Having been the midwife for only 25 Aisian elephant births myself, I am amazed at his accomplishments.
New species? Sounds like you guys will have a lot to talk about.
The correct name of his talk is "Collecting in Puerto Maldonado, Peru."
How far is that from where you were collecting Manuel?
Can someone explain the marketplace? I have been away for awhile and there was always an auction at every meeting that I recall in the past
Table sales, like we do at BFD, something we've tried twice as an alternative. But we'll be having out usual auction this month.

JLW

CCA Members
The idea of table sales was discussed, as it technically "should" be this month; its supposed to go every other one. But, we're in a different location and don't really have a great feel for the logistics there. It sounded like that might be setting the table sales up for failure, so we're going with regular auction. Plus, we've got the Board Elections....

We'll do table sales in November. I will break Mike's kneecaps if we don't. :-D

rsretep

Members
New species? Sounds like you guys will have a lot to talk about.

How far is that from where you were collecting Manuel?

Table sales, like we do at BFD, something we've tried twice as an alternative. But we'll be having out usual auction this month.
thanks Mike

MHMoro

CCA Members
Michael said: How far is that (Puerto Maldonado) from where you were collecting (Pisco) Manuel?

Pretty far. I was collecting another species of green terror (Andinoacara staslbergi) at the central coast of Peru, near the city of Pisco. Puerto Maldonado is located in the southern peruvian rain forest. The ecosystems are quite different..

Here is a pic of what I got:

Andinoacara .jpg

andino3.JPG