• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oblongum moving wigglers

toddnbecka

Members
Congrats on the new spawn. Less than a week after I moved my pair into a 29 of their own they had a nice clutch of eggs. They've been free-swimming for a couple weeks now, and the parents haven't eaten any. On previous occaisons the fry would disappear when they were preparing to spawn again when I had them in the 30L with the BN. After moving them into a 55, then a 75, any eggs were quickly devoured by the Synodontis multi's. Looks like they're happy enough to have fry this time around, and I'm hoping to be able to raise them with the parents for a while longer. If they start disappearing I'll move the pair out again.
I have Najas and java moss in their tank, no other fish except for an injured (tailless) BN who hangs out under a flat rock out of their sight while he recuperates. The female hangs the wigglers in/on/among the plants, never on the glass or bottom.

toddnbecka

Members
May have been luck, or possibly yours (as fry) weren't separated from the parents and so learned the behavior. I've read that stripping mouthbrooders results in the fry taking longer to learn the necessary behavior when they mature and spawn. That's why I'm leaving the fry with the parents unless they suddenly start disappearing.
My pair were excellent parents from the first spawn as far as tending the eggs and wigglers, but then the fry would disappear within about 24 hours, within a week of becoming free-swimming if I remember correctly. That happened through 5 or 6 spawns, then I moved the parents to another tank to allow the fry to grow out and the BN to breed. It seems the adults were also eating the BN fry as they came along, though they missed one that was close to 1" when I found it.
I also discovered 6 larger oblongum fry among the plants, 3 each from 2 previous spawns. After I moved the pair to another tank the ramshorn population went ballistic. Up until then there were only a few adults to be found, and no smaller ones at all. The oblongums eat them like candy.