• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Now that's a stingray......

tremper

Members
can't be dead.....

I have a hard time believing that any serious biologist would kill a world record fish. If so, shame on him.

tremper

Members
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92308/?fp=1

The Thailand capture of the massive female stingray was part of a program to tag such Maeklong River residents. The captive, part of a "vulnerable species" listed by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, measured a hefty 7 feet by 7 feet. That doesn't include the 10-foot-long poisonous tail.

Another reason that this marine fish is so huge: She's pregnant. (Cue soap-opera gasp.) After she had been towed to the bank (too big to be onboard the boat), she was duly marked, had DNA samples removed, and returned to the river whence she unwillingly came. Welch gave her a farewell smooch, then spent the rest of the day with a cold beer and memories of her.
Amen to the release and the cold brew!

F8LBITE

Members
wow, I would have been upset if they killed it or died from the struggle. A magnificent specimen like that has avoided getting caught or killed and got that big so she deserves to live.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
What's amazing is how many people in the hobby are collecting Stingrays for their home.

As a matter of fact, I meet 2 young ladies at our last meeting who collect Stingrays.

That is so Cool! I told them that I was impressed not only by their taste, but their enthusiasm for the hobby.

I think DC sent a copy of the link to one of the girls, I'm sure they got a kick out of the wonderful specimen.

RM