• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Not prepared for the storm

dSerk

Members
Howdy, y'all. I haven't had power since Friday night. My fish are dying and I really don't know what to do. I've lowered the water and pulled out floating plants and tried to do some meager water changes.

I've lost 2 juvenile Chuco and an adult Thorichthys I've had for two years. The water has gotten cloudy in that tank. I have some discus in another tank and they just _look_ horrible :( Haven't fed anyone in days either.

I'm realizing I just have no idea what to do. I'm not expecting power until the weekend. I live in Falls Church.

-Despairing Fishkeeper

Check out this thread - everybody's problems from this most recent storm. Within the first couple of pages there is a link to an article about "what to do when your power goes out" by Frank Cowherd, one of our own CCA members. http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13651&highlight=storm+power

Bottom line, if you can't get your filters going via a generator or some alternate power source, do regular water changes, and if you can find some, get some battery powered air pumps. You can either use the air pumps to just pump air into the tank, or to run air into a basic, cheap sponge filter. Lots of water changes. Did I say?...lots of water changes. And stop feeding, since feed = waste = polluted water.

Last edited:

ezrk

Members
I would keep changing water, do much larger changes to try and clean it up. Our water out of the tap was about 76-78 degrees so acceptable to the fish as is basically. My gut feel is that the fish have a better chance to survive in clean water even if the parameters aren't perfect than in ammonia filled water.

Second, try and get some battery powered air pumps to aerate the water. Failing that use a big pitcher to aerate the water pouring it from a foot or two above the tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
When you change the water, are you treating the fresh water with declor, or some other similar conditioner? How are your water temps? If they get too high, it'll take oxygen out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
If you have a container that you can put outdoors(in the shade) you might use that for some of your hardier fish(like CA cichlids).

For discus, I think the key is water changes.

secuono

Members
Man, that's terrible! My fish did just fine with the 42hrs w/o power. I was far worse for ware than them...
But for next time, get some battery powered air pump or water pump and get the water moving and agitating the surface.
I think my low fish count, lots of water and plants with little feeding is what was their saving grace. I kept checking on them, but they just thought I was crazy and annoying their long nap. =D

I think if I had Discus...I would of peed myself with worry...but with this long black out, we were forced to get a generator. If you can afford one, even a small one, that will help, too.

MarkK

CCA Members
First thing Wednesday call Aquarium ONE in Rockville and see if they have any more azoo battery pumps. $30 each plus two D cells but could save the tank. I suggest u purchase sponge filters or box filters to run with the pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rustdee

Members
This was all great advise. I am long time fish owner, but this was my first long term power outage (6 days). I was able to get my 5 tanks on generator ofter 48 hours, but was super worried if they had gone much longer. Thanks again for all the advise. FYI, did not loose one fish!

dSerk,

Do you need some battery powered air pumps? I have a couple that I'm not using right now and some sponge filters. I might also have a couple of corded filters too if you can get you hands on an inverter or a battery pack.

I live in Reston, and I'll be home for most of the day. Call me at 703.476.2972 if you'd like to borrow my battery air pumps.

Arlene

dSerk

Members
Thanks everyone and apologies for the extra thread.

I live in an apt so a generator is probably not plausible, but I am going to get a couple battery powered air pumps for next time. Because there's going to be a next time.

In the end I lost only 3, 2 juvies and an adult I'd had for 2 years. I think mostly I learned that if I lose power again I need to act like it's NOT coming back on for days, as far as the fish are concerned.

If this happens during the winter, will the cold be a life-threatening problem? How cold is too cold? 50F inside air temp for a couple days? 40F for a couple hours?

Thanks again for all the advice.