• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Non fish related Poll. Charcoal or Gas?

What do you prefer

• I use Gas.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I use Charcoal.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • I only use wood.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't eat. Neither.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I use both because thats just the way I roll.

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have had Both in the past. For the last 10 years I have been using a little weber charcoal kettle type.

Just bought this.
It uses
Gas or charcoal or you can smoke with wood in the little area on the right.
DSC_0119.jpg

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Nice Pat!!! My parents just bought the same exact thing... well it was about 2 months ago. You can do anything from a hotdog in 5 minutes to smoking a pork shoulder all day, very versatile.

I've got a old Brinkmann Professional charcoal grill. Very large, I even use it for smoking, I build a fire on one side of it with the meat on the other side. Kingsford and Hickory wood. :)

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
WOW! Now that's a man's kitcken! The first Bass I ever caught was smoked and it tasted great! The meat fell off the bone and left a skeleton like in a cartoon.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
lol
Its not one of those big Stainless expensive things either.
Lowes 299.95 without the smoker or the tank.
I did buy the cover that actually fits it. Even with the smoker.
Kept the Weber too. Just in case.

Cartel

Members
Just bought a stainless steel Brinkman! I went gas because i like to cook out alot and im too lazy to deal with fire. But I did buy the little smoker box thing you dump wood chips into to help with the "smoked" flavor.

maddog10

Members
If I cooked, I would probably use charcoal. I have been able to tell when a gas grill was used in the past. If the food is free, I will take it either way. :lol:

I prefer charcoal, but love the convenience of gas, although I don't have a gas grill. Everytime I go to the in-laws for a cookout they have the gas grill which makes me what to go out and buy one. I have the good ol faithful Weber kettle. Once the coals get going you can cook all day.

Gerard

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have a weber and usually use charcoal. For those of you who never tried it, they do sell wood hunks and the taste beats the heck out of charcoal. This is especially true if you are doing a smoked thing. Wood is ready to cook in 10 to 15 minutes too.

When I lived in Florida (about 19 years ago) I tried gas. Got a nice cheap gas grill and used it for about a year. I didn't really like it. Once it ran out of gas at an inconvenient time. Luckily I was able to get morte propane after driving all over Seminole. It may have been my own fault but two days later when I tried to use it, it was again out of gas. You can ask my wife about the veracity of this but I went into the garage and got my sledge hammer. It is a big one. I still have it. I beat that gas grill into little pieces, went to Scotty's (the old Florida Home Depot), and bought a new Weber. Gave the propane tank to my Neighbor.

I have never been sorry. Gas grills suck. Your beast is beautiful Pat.

George

Cartel

Members
I do agree charcoal> gas but sometimes ill just make a couple burgers here and there and i really dont see the point in firing up a charcoal grill for 2 burgers lol. I like pats since its got everything!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
As of matter of fact...I just got this puppy today as Fathers Day gift.;)

grill.jpg

Cool Right! That's how I roll.:p

By the way Pat, you've got an awesome grill buddy.;)

For the record, I like the taste of wood and charcoal, but gas is easier to cook on and the flavor is pretty good.

RM

mscichlid

Founder
I have always used charcoal and usually bought real charcoal from the Roof Center in Rockville. I still have the smoker grill, but I decided to buy a gas grill last year and I love it. It is a split hood, has a rotisserie, a rack for using various woods for flavor, halogen lights, and an infrared side burner.

Lively

Members
I knew there had to be other women who grill... Franny Rocks!

I've one of each (gas/real fire), got the Brinkman smoker this spring - love it! I said, "Both" because there wasn't all three! I've used strictly wood before - that is, by far, my favorite way to grill. Burgers cooked slow over applewood - YUMMY! I've not touched the gas since I got the Brinkman, but when I do a huge cookout for family I'll use both.

I've been grilling since I was about 10 - my dad taught me. Got my mom all bent out of shape "Women don't grill" she says. I think my dad did that on purpose... lol

Georgie... it's called "percussive maintenance"

Jumbie

Members
I have a weber and usually use charcoal. For those of you who never tried it, they do sell wood hunks and the taste beats the heck out of charcoal. This is especially true if you are doing a smoked thing. Wood is ready to cook in 10 to 15 minutes too.

When I lived in Florida (about 19 years ago) I tried gas. Got a nice cheap gas grill and used it for about a year. I didn't really like it. Once it ran out of gas at an inconvenient time. Luckily I was able to get morte propane after driving all over Seminole. It may have been my own fault but two days later when I tried to use it, it was again out of gas. You can ask my wife about the veracity of this but I went into the garage and got my sledge hammer. It is a big one. I still have it. I beat that gas grill into little pieces, went to Scotty's (the old Florida Home Depot), and bought a new Weber. Gave the propane tank to my Neighbor.

I have never been sorry. Gas grills suck. Your beast is beautiful Pat.

George

I have a Weber as well and prefer Charcoal. The wood chip grills are really nice the food is very tasteful.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
One of the guys I work with has one that takes charcoal or gas. There is a gas burner under the charcoal side to light the charcoal. That would be cool. Said it starts real quick.
I have always prefered the charcoal or wood but that gas is so quick sometimes. I got home last night and you could hear the thunder in the distance. I fired up the gas and in 15 minutes or so (before the rain got there) had the burgers done.
Still, if I have the time it will not be gas.

Sonny Disposition

Charcoal, although I don't mind gas grills either. I'm usually bustling around doing something else, and so I don't grill outside often. Plus, I'm not crazy about having to clean the grill rack afterwards.

Charcoal all the way w/some chunks of mesquite wood or other wood to get that nice smoked taste. Gas is ok, I do use a smoker box but it is never the same. I have both but I like PATS grill, that is awesome.