• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nitrates in tap water

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I just received a my API Master Test kit for freshwater. I got a reading of 10ppm-20ppm of nitrates out of the sink. What will this mean for my tank maintenance? How might my future fish respond to 10ppm-20ppm of nitrates in the water?

bossanova

Members
I just received a my API Master Test kit for freshwater. I got a reading of 10ppm-20ppm of nitrates out of the sink. What will this mean for my tank maintenance? How might my future fish respond to 10ppm-20ppm of nitrates in the water?
I’ve noticed that at times, too. It’s not an issue provided you keep up with regular maintenance. If you’re super worried, plants in the sump or water column will help suck that up.

What are you keeping?

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Thanks. I am hoping get some Mbuna. Yellow labs, rusties, also some zebroids. Those were some recommendations. I may look for a couple more compatible groups. Do you have any suggestions as far as Mbuna. I was looking for some of the more calmer types.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Are you on municipal water or a well? I think they make nitrate filters you can have installed on the incoming lines if you really wanted to knock it out before it hit the tank. Some of the dechlorinator types also can reduce nitrates I believe, I'd have to look but seachem safe may be one of them.

bossanova

Members
Thanks. I am hoping get some Mbuna. Yellow labs, rusties, also some zebroids. Those were some recommendations. I may look for a couple more compatible groups. Do you have any suggestions as far as Mbuna. I was looking for some of the more calmer types.
Yellow labs, acei and rusties are a great combo. Resist the urge to mix more than 3 types. I kept mbuna for years. Did 50% water change 1x per week, used tapwater and seachem safe, and watched them multiply like rabbits.

Freakgecko

Members
Try letting your test sample sit out overnight. I’ve heard of false readings from water straight out the tap sometimes

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Are you on municipal water or a well? I think they make nitrate filters you can have installed on the incoming lines if you really wanted to knock it out before it hit the tank. Some of the dechlorinator types also can reduce nitrates I believe, I'd have to look but seachem safe may be one of them.
I am on municipal water. I will look in to the seachem safe. Thanks.

bossanova

Members
Safe works well though, and a little bit goes a long way, so be careful to read the dosing instructions. Sometimes clearing a room can be a good thing!
Not to be too crass, but it smells like a fart that itself farted after eating a dozen hard boiled eggs in a tiny elevator.

other than that, it’s great!