• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nicaraguensis Diet

Wanted to know if it's safe to feed nicaraguensis blackworms? I didn't read anything that said otherwise. Anyone have any suggestions for live food that would get them ready for breeding?

Thanks,
Gerard

Well what do you know, I just noticed some eggs underneath a coconut hut that I recently placed in the tank with the nics. Turns out I didn't have to put them on a live food diet. I've been feeding them hbh super soft spirulina pellets and hbh super soft krill pellets. I have been doing partial water changes something like every 3 days, I have to check the calendar. When I get an opportunity I'll get some pics. hopefully without disturbing the parents. Beware that my photography skills are pre amatuer. :D

I appreciate the advice given, maybe I can still implement the live foods and compare the difference between live and dry foods, to see if the number of eggs produced is greater or less between the two diets.

Gerard

My excitement turned sour, the eggs are gone. Hopefully they will spawn again, I was able to get a picture of the eggs before I noticed they were gone. Although it's not the best picutre, I'll keep it for future reference.

Gerard

Sonny Disposition

The baby Nicaraguense that I brought back from Florida is really slow to adapt to prepared food. He's only now starting to eat the gel food that I give all my fish, whereas all the other wild-caught cichlids have been scarfing the stuff down for about a week now.

I'm wondering if the fry might need live brine shrimp at first, before they take flake or powder. (Like baby sunnies.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (livingwatersaquarium @ Jun 12 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My excitement turned sour, the eggs are gone. Hopefully they will spawn again, I was able to get a picture of the eggs before I noticed they were gone. Although it's not the best picutre, I'll keep it for future reference.

Gerard[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've never had a hard time feeding baby nics. The regular crushed flake, baby brine, and sponge filter gunk seems to do well.

Their eggs / breeding behavior are a little different than other CA's. The eggs are less adhesive than others and they tend to bury them in the sand/gravel. Anyway, give them a couple of tries and they'll do just fine.

I always knew when my pair bred because they'd change color (especially the female) and guard the flowerpot...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Jun 13 2008, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The baby Nicaraguense that I brought back from Florida is really slow to adapt to prepared food. He's only now starting to eat the gel food that I give all my fish, whereas all the other wild-caught cichlids have been scarfing the stuff down for about a week now.

I'm wondering if the fry might need live brine shrimp at first, before they take flake or powder. (Like baby sunnies.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (livingwatersaquarium @ Jun 12 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gerard[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Hello everyone, I now have 2 spawns of baby nics. I will post some pictures soon 1 batch is about 4 weeks old and the other is only 5 days old. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with over 600 babies. lol Thanks again for the advice, now I need to know how to stop the parents from breeding. Hopefully a tank divider will do the trick. I don't have the space to separate the pair into separate tanks.

Gerard

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just found some pics of my old pair breeding...

DCP_1429.jpg

DCP_1455.jpg

Enjoy and sorry to derail :)

Matt