• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Newbie/Need Good Local Stores

Macrophage

Members
Hi, I'm a casual owner of about 20 cichlids (Malawi mbuna and some haps) and only shop for them once or twice a year. That being said, I do my research and have particular breeds that I like that aren't easily available at places like petland/walmart. The place I loved going since moving here last year was Andrew's place Scale's in Cloverly, MD. I stopped by there this afternoon as I was in the area for work and my heart completely sank to my shoes. So I came home and tried a Yahoo search for any other good LFSs in the area. I couldn't find any. So, my question is, could someone tell me where a great LFS is in the local metro area. I'm even willing to cross the bridge and brave VA if I have to. Sorry if a similar topic has been posted before and I didn't see. Thanks!

Aaron

Aaron,

Another option you have as a member here is to post in the market for what you are looking for and see if anyone here is breeding the fish you desire, also check out the vendors postings in the rest of the market forum folders to see if they have them.

Rob

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Aaron,

Another option you have as a member here is to post in the market for what you are looking for and see if anyone here is breeding the fish you desire, also check out the vendors postings in the rest of the market forum folders to see if they have them.

Rob

I've found better luck with finding rare fish with people on the forum than LFS. If both have it, you're also likelier to find it less expensive or higher quality here. There's also Julie (frybabies) who has the nicest fish and can special order just about anything. Tropical Fish World in Gburg will order anything as well.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
there is a member here jthefishguy that lives in bowie. he sells fish and will also order for you if need be. go to his page and check him out. ive bought fish from him for years and he is a stand up guy that is a pleasure to do business with. i also like the fact that i can buy fish and share a beer and talk shop with him. ;)

Macrophage

Members
Wow, thanks so much for the informative replies. I will definitely try to contact some of the folks you've spoken of and Tropical Fish World in G'burg must be right down the road from me here in Olney. Hope to find some interesting fish and will continue to read some of your posts in hopes of learning a lot more, thanks again. Aaron

Sonny Disposition

Mac, can you tell us about why you picked your Forum name? (We don't see much medical terminology on a cichlid forum.)

Wow, thanks so much for the informative replies. I will definitely try to contact some of the folks you've spoken of and Tropical Fish World in G'burg must be right down the road from me here in Olney. Hope to find some interesting fish and will continue to read some of your posts in hopes of learning a lot more, thanks again. Aaron

Macrophage

Members
Well, I am an immunologist and most of my projects (current one excluded) have involved investigating macrophage function. Initially it was how macrophages behave as foam cells (the fatty streaks in atherosclerosis) and my last project was how macs behave following infection with Leishmania, which is a parasite of the tropics. Macrophages are pretty kickass in the body, think eat and destroy, so my forum names and especially gamertag online have to do with immuno. cells. Sorry to blather, just passionate about it (and you asked!)