• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New World Temps - Lower than you might think

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of the ways that I keep the power bill down is not heating most of the tanks in my fishroom and placing fish that like lower temps in tanks near or on the floor of my fishroom and placing those that like more heat nearer the ceiling.

The air temp in my fishroom hovers at around 72F this time of year. There are lots of new world cichlids active and even breeding at temps in the low 70s and even lower!

I just checked a tank on the floor today and it is 56F. I keep primarily Uruguayan fish in the floor tanks but many Central Americans also do great. The tank I checked is right below a tank of Coatepeque convicts. A couple of them made the leap into the tank below and have been doing great with lower winter temps for a couple of years. They're all active and eating (albeit a little less)...and ready to spawn when the temps rise in the spring!

I have a tank of Gymnogeos., wild-type swordtails and goodeids that are also on the floor. This tank isn't near an external wall, so it's probably in the low 60s but all of the fish are doing great - active, eating, etc.

I have tanks of Central Americans - cons of various types, Theraps wesseli, Cryptoheros, etc. - in a couple of the bottom row tanks (about 16" off of the floor of the fishroom) and they're all doing great with no heaters and temps in the mid 60s.

Lake Nicaragua is in the low to mid-70s near the surface and nearer to 60F near the bottom. Temps are cooler in the winter and warmer in the winter.

While the Amazon, tropical West Africa and other places near the equator have relatively stable, hot weather throughout the year (albeit with rainy and dry seasons), Central and Southern South America (and places with higher elevation) get downright chilly in the winter.

I've had really good luck with allowing temps to fluctuate with the seasons and lower temps seem to lower aggression, lengthen lifespans and result in a ton of breeding in the spring. Fish don't necessarily grow as fast or breed as much as those kept warm all year but that's a good thing (at least for me).

Do other folks keep fish at lower temps?

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
As I've been going through and replacing some of my heaters, I've been setting the replacements a little lower than they had been previously set. I'm nudging many of my tanks to the low or mid 70s depending on the fish. I also recently had a tank's heater die in an upstairs tank. I noticed that the fish were a little less active, but that was about it. I think the tank was at 69 when I realized.

One of the heater types that I'm phasing out are the newer model ViaAqua titanium heaters. I liked the old (analog) models, but the new ones are digital and default to 78 degrees whenever the power goes out (which happens every water change because I unplug their power strip temporarily...and on top of that, I find that they tend to run a few degrees warm....so they end up keeping the tanks around 80.....not good for the electric bill and not necessary for most fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I can tell the difference in the power bill big time between having a lot of heaters and only a handful.

There were at least 4 spawns last week when 1) temps in most CA tanks were ~70F, I haven't been feeding much (busy with work + holidays + AquaMania stuff) and I skipped a week of water changes (bad Matt!)...

The Uruguayan fish act like business as usual in the mid-50s... I have a divided pair of chanchitos that were preparing to spawn across the divider in 62F water!

Matt

daninmd

Members
very cool. I have been considering this with my tanks, which are in a finished basement but there are temperature changes. its more natural to have seasonal temperature changes, and the way you are doing it provides for a nice gentle transition from cool to warm.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Our basement is finished, except for the laundry / fish room (where all my tanks are). It's centrally heated but we keep it about 70F in the winter.

The key is slow transition - drop a fish from 80 to 65 (or vice versa) and it will go into shock.

Matt

blkmjk

Members
Most of my CA fish do ok in temps in the 60's but my umbees can't stand less than 82°F. I find the fish are more active with temps stable around 76° F any higher aggression goes up with it.

Drew

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Our basement is finished, except for the laundry / fish room (where all my tanks are). It's centrally heated but we keep it about 70F in the winter.

The key is slow transition - drop a fish from 80 to 65 (or vice versa) and it will go into shock.

Matt

I know fish need a cool down period through out the year. I usually do 3-4 month. I haven't gone as low as in the 60's but I'm glad to hear some species can handle it with the proper transition.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rebalgo

Members
Very nice "back to nature" trip for some species, I'm sure.

Hypothetically, what would you do to treat one of these 65 degree tanks if *God forbid* it got ich?

Increase the duration of salt/meds? increase the temps to help get rid of it?

I'd let my tiger barb tank get lower in the winter because online sources said they could handle it. One time the power went out so we had no choice. It got down below 60 for a few days if I remember correctly, and they pulled through just fine, along with the opaline gourami. Activity dropped to hovering, and I didn't feed them, but it worked out

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors

Hypothetically, what would you do to treat one of these 65 degree tanks if *God forbid* it got ich?

I'd let my tiger barb tank get lower in the winter because online sources said they could handle it. One time the power went out so we had no choice. It got down below 60 for a few days if I remember correctly, and they pulled through just fine, along with the opaline gourami. Activity dropped to hovering, and I didn't feed them, but it worked out

I haven't gone so low or do low that they have ever gotten sick... I have lost power and I too didn't feed. I think the consensus is to lower your temps very slowly. I assume they're letting the temps change with the seasons. They prob also keep their thermostat at roughly the same temp regardless of winter or summer etc. Or have really well insulated homes and fish rooms. Or the way water is stored in a greenhouse to keep the ambient temperature stable. Maybe the volume of water they have has something to do with why it?

More details would be great, I'm really interested. Hopefully when I move in the future I can set up a fish room. This would probably help with utility cost etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Fortunately - knock on wood - ich hasn't been a problem for me recently.

The way that I treat ich is to add my UV sterilizer and a heater and (over the course of a day or so) raise the temp to 87 or so. I also add extra air.

Ironically, a lot of Uruguayan fish become much more prone to disease (not just ich but hole in the head, bloat, etc.) if they're NOT cooled down in the winter. Uruguay has a temperate, semi-tropical climate. What's the annual temperature cycle where your fish come from? Is is hot all year long or does it get cool in the winter? Raining season? One of the keys to breeding some Amazon Panaque (pleco) species is simulating the dry season (warmer temperatures, fewer water changes) and then a rainy season (massive water change of cooler water). How long in "dry season" and how big of a water change to stimulate them to spawn? Who know...experiment :)

I think that the abundance and richness of food in aquarium settings alone pushes many fish to spawn much more frequently than in nature...adding constant high temperatures means that they're always in ready to go...until they burn out and die early!

Matt

Last edited:

johnscottant

Members
Great info and ideas Matt. Thanks im going to try and lower my temp. The temp in my fishroom stays around 74 to 75. So I should be good. Thanks again

dogofwar

CCA Members
Scott - When you're down for AquaMania, you'll have to come check out my fishroom. Not nearly as spacious as yours :)

Matt

Great info and ideas Matt. Thanks im going to try and lower my temp. The temp in my fishroom stays around 74 to 75. So I should be good. Thanks again

dogofwar

CCA Members
Temp was at 54F in the tanks on the floor of my basement touching an external wall.

Gymnogeos, chanchitos, pikes, catfish, livebearers, Cichlasoma...and even a coatepeque con doing great...even eating a little!

Matt