• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New tank!

Lively

Members
This one is my very first on purpose breeding tank! Yeah! It's a 20g long - looks odd to have a long squat tank, but it should be perfect for what I need. I didn't have enough paint to do the back, bottom and sides - so I did bottom only since I wanted it bare bottom. 90% of the water i used is from tanks with fish that are getting ready to spawn (I was listening last meeting! lol)

Now I have to do the part I hate - catch fish. Going to put the regular JD female that is showing signs of spawning and my best guess of two males of the Electric Blues!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
way to go stacy! i was hearing the "water part" too. i wish you much success. keep us posted with the progress and of course picks.

Lively

Members
with them coloring up for breeding, i'm better able to guess the sex! I was floored last night when i saw hints of red on the dorsal fins of two of the blues - most likely male blues! Those are the two that are now in the tank with the egg filled gal. trying to remove all the regular JD females from the "community blue" tank - don't want to risk getting a regular JD spawn in there!

F8LBITE

Members
cool! I love 20L's very versatile and long enough that you could put a divider in there if need be. Even better is a 29G same footprint just taller.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I like the short tanks because they're much easier to catch fish out of, especially fry. Any tank over 18" high is a pain to catch fish out of, but I like the taller tanks for show tanks. Good luck with the new couple!

Lively

Members
Well, I didn't leave any regulars in with the Blues - wasn't sure enough of the sex of them. Wasn't worth the risk - i'll have to wait until they are a bit bigger and I can be more certian.

So, this is the set up as it stands now.

20g long - one regular female looking like she'll spawn soon with two EB boys (with red on the dorsal fin! not something i've ever seen in Blues, but really wanted)

38g - three EB's one definate male and female and one most likely female. The definate female is looking like she will spawn in a week or so.

I drain the water out of the tanks to make it easier to catch the fish - usually to about 6" I really hate catching fish, expecially when it is only certian fish out of the tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I drain the water out of the tanks to make it easier to catch the fish - usually to about 6" I really hate catching fish, expecially when it is only certian fish out of the tank.
Maybe thats my problem, I usually go the opposite. I drain most of the tank when I'm catching everybody out, but leave the tank full when just catching 1 or 2 fish out. Draining the the tank to 6" would be fine on a small tank, but on my 120 high, that means draining about 90 gallons. Sometimes I feel I'd be better off with a rod and hook (j/k) when those guys make me chase them for a while. My fish catching technique has evolved, but still has much room for improvement.

Lively

Members
I think with a tank that big, I'd use dividers. I've done that for my 55g. I just drained about half of my 55g, pulled all the decor out and had Abby catch the two lone fry in the tank. They ended up with about a 50% water change that I hadn't planned on doing. They hate it when I rearrange or do a major water change right before a spawn - she is frantically cleaning her spawning rocks now - i really hate pulling those out but the dang fry were hiding in them.

davidhusker

Members
isnt a 20g a little small to be putting JD's in? I think a 40g min for spawning. The male is bound to kill her in there. How big are these guys?

Lively

Members
They are still small at about 4", David. As long as they have enough hiding places, they should be fine to breed in this size tank for awhile.

55 gallon for full grown adults and then that's just enough room for one pair and no roommates!

F8LBITE

Members
when I need to catch fish in my tank I just sneak up on them first thing in the AM before the sun comes up and find them with a flashlight and snag em while theyre still sleeping.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I think with a tank that big, I'd use dividers. I've done that for my 55g. I just drained about half of my 55g, pulled all the decor out and had Abby catch the two lone fry in the tank. They ended up with about a 50% water change that I hadn't planned on doing.
That makes sense, just very time consuming. I've had to do it before, its the only sure fire way to get what you need. I'm always rushing to catch fish before CCA meetings and don't always have a ton of time. When times not an issue, it seems to be easier. I've been trying to net train my guys when I can. I'll put some FD krill in the net and put the net in the tank and let them go in and eat the krill and just leave the net in the tank. Some of them will swim right to the net when I put it in the tank, but its usually not the fish I'm trying to catch. Trying to learn more techniques as I go.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
when I need to catch fish in my tank I just sneak up on them first thing in the AM before the sun comes up and find them with a flashlight and snag em while theyre still sleeping.
The sun comes up too early for me to do that. I've tried to get them with the flashlight method with the lights off, but they're usually already awake. They come rushing to the top when I approach, but get weary when the net comes in.

The sun comes up just about the same time every day....it just means that you arent working around the sun's schedule....come on, where's the dedication?

drgnfly829

Members
Glad someone else hates catching fish

thought I was an aberrant fish person. ok might still be
i just drain the tanks now atleast half way for anything except frontosa
Since i strip the females, they have kindof become somewhat easier to catch. ired of being chased i guess.

Charlutz

Members
I also catch the fish when they sleep, but I do it at night. Wait until an hour or so after the lights are off and then go get them. I used to use a flashlight. Now I just turn the tank lights on. They wake up, but they are groggy for a good ten minutes and can be caught. I have a 7 foot tank with two cross braces that the nets have to go up and over if the fish go from one end of the tank to the other. Also lots of rocks and plants. I would never try to catch an awake fish out of there, but while they are sleeping it takes no time at all, just a little planning.