• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Tank -- Future Home to Green Murago

Wblaze

Members
Hello --

So after negotiating with my wife I settled on one of those 29g marineland LCD kits. I wound up getting it for half price. The tank is running and will be the future home to green murago unless I give in and go brichardi. What do you guys think? Is the filter enough? Am I asking for trouble with the tank size? Goal is to upgrade to a 55 or larger in the next 18 months or so.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116812964412044824386/September42011#5648488450792779954

Last edited:

mscichlid

Founder
Join photobucket, make your album private, upload your images, save to album, click on image url, copy it, make a post, paste image url after or before your text in post, submit post.

mscichlid

Founder
IMG_1904.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
Remember not to delete the photos from photobucket because they'll disappear from everywhere you posted it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Putting tropheus in a 29 is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but it will not work.

I think a 55 is the smallest you can try tropheus in, with a lot of folks saying that 75 is the minimum. My reds are in a 48"x18"x13" tall 50 gallon tank (same footprint as a 75) and it is tight in my opinion.

"Give in" and go with a rock dweller. Brichardi will love that setup. Those cichlid rocks look great!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Putting tropheus in a 29 is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but it will not work.

I think a 55 is the smallest you can try tropheus in, with a lot of folks saying that 75 is the minimum. My reds are in a 48"x18"x13" tall 50 gallon tank (same footprint as a 75) and it is tight in my opinion.

"Give in" and go with a rock dweller. Brichardi will love that setup. Those cichlid rocks look great!

OK, now I would never disagree with Tony since Maria is the Daughter I never had - BUT - much as he is mostly right, I started one of my Tropheus colonies with four little guys in a fifteen gallon. Little Tropheus are cheap and big ones will break you. I had so many rocks in the tank they could hardly see each other. As they grew they moved to a thirty gallon and even more rocks were added. The thirty was literally all rocks. The four turned into 8 or 10 in the thirty and from there they went to a nice 100 gallon tank with lots of open swimming area. Life was good after that. This is not the best way to start with Tropheus but it can be done.

If you can afford it and have the space - do it Tony's way. He's way smarter than me.

George

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you can afford it and have the space - do it Tony's way. He's way smarter than me.

Don't know about all that, lol. Maybe after we've consumed most of a bottle, then we can rule it a tossup. ;)

Babies in there for a bit would probably be cool, but baby tropheus will become large angry tropheus in less than 18 months.... All's I'm sayin'.

Wblaze

Members
Right now I have 5 brichardi juveniles a friend game me in the tank. Even though this is a new set up, I took gravel from my other tank and put it in a filter bag and left it in the tank. I also took a used filter cartridge and put it in the spare penguin spot. I hope this gives me a fast cycle