• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"new" substrate

spazmattik

Members
So at one point I saw a video on using quickrete all purpose sand as a substrate. The reviewer was talking about how great it was and how it didn't cloud his tank. His substrate in the video did look really nice so I ended up buying some after seeing it. The grain sizes varied so much that it looked pretty nice and natural. Unfortunately even after rinsing it x amount of times and rinsing even more I could never get the very fine stuff out. I used it for a while but i moved something in the tank or the fish had a scuffle it would kick up debris and either cloud the water or get sucked up in the filter. I switched substrates and forgot about the quikrete..

Realizing I am picking up some new tanks this weekend and I needed some more substrate, I pulled the quikrete back out and got out a strainer. Then it started feeling like I was playing with the panning for gold kit my grandma bought me when I was a kid.

After getting nice results from the strain, I figured I would mix it with some pool filter sand (which I have never had issues with being stirred up or clouding) and a small handful of petsmart gravel. I am happy with the results.

sand1.jpg

sand2.jpg

sand3.jpg

sand4.jpg

sand6.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looks nice! I did a similar thing when I mixed some gravel with PFS. Show us some full tank shots when you get things set up.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sweet! Glad to see the mix substrates
I did something similar when I started
but the current from the filter washes the sand over gravel and hides the bigger rocks but the bottom dwellers help bring back the bigger stuff out...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395879289.935041.jpg

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I, too, go for the "mixed natural" look. I also use river stones and cobbles from a local garden center. I add a handful of leaves for the biotope look. My corys love it.

Baise

spazmattik

Members
Thanks guys.i am going to do that too b when all is said and done. Unfortunately right now the oly tank that has extra rocks like that is the one my red isletas just spawned in so i dont want to disturb that tank lol. Im gonna grab some more rocks this weekend. I have not tried leaves yet but i will give it a shot.

Also im not a plant guy but anyone have a good recomendation for something thats short enough for a 40 breeder with maybe some broad leaves? Oh, that doesnt require anything really but light ;)

verbal

CCA Members
Also im not a plant guy but anyone have a good recomendation for something thats short enough for a 40 breeder with maybe some broad leaves? Oh, that doesnt require anything really but light ;)

Normal Java Fern will work. If you protect them from being dug up, sword plants might work.

spazmattik

Members
I've mixed the quickrete, PFS, and turface - it's a nice look.
cool, didnt even know what turface was. do you have pics of that mixture?

Jesse, I love swords but wouldn't they get a little tall for a 40 breeder? I have no idea how my male grammode will be with plants. I know when I was growing the female out she was the herbicide queen even at about an inch. lol