• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Malawians From Yesterday's Swap Meet

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice pickups, Brian!

I especially like the flavifemina.... cool looking mbuna I've never seen before. :)

Fossies are awesome. Have a group growing out in the 180 right now. Not showing any color yet, but the largest male is around 6", showing some pointy fins and getting pretty thick. I'd like to put them in a 125 with a deep sand bed some day, along with some blue plcidochromis followers.

How big are those tubs and how many do you have?

why_spyder

Members
Tony, I picked up 7 at the swap meet but had one jump so I'm down to 6 for now. The stock tanks are 4' long, 100g size. I'm in the process of switching back to 55g's and as they get bigger will either get into a 6-8' tank or sold off (only if I can't house them properly).

The only thing I don't know is how fast I should expect these to grow to know how soon I'll be needing a bigger home for them.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Tony, I picked up 7 at the swap meet but had one jump so I'm down to 6 for now. The stock tanks are 4' long, 100g size. I'm in the process of switching back to 55g's and as they get bigger will either get into a 6-8' tank or sold off (only if I can't house them properly).

The only thing I don't know is how fast I should expect these to grow to know how soon I'll be needing a bigger home for them.

Dude, you should totally keep those tubs around if you can... sick size. Glass tanks are cool and all, but more gallons equals happier fish. ;)

My fossos have actually grown pretty quickly. I have a group of about 9 right now from mail order and from the ECC auction in the the spring. My biggest guys are from the mail order... when I got them, they were about 1.5"-2". That was in February I think.

Right now, the alpha male is about 6" long with pretty good girth. After getting a bit of size in a 10, he (and his group) were moved over to a 40 as peacock dithers (lol), then eventually to the 180. So honestly, they've never been totally pampered, which has probably slowed their growth a wee bit.

With your starting around 3"-4", I'd expect them to get up to the size of mine in the next 6 months or so.

Awesome fish, bro. Keep us posted. :happy0180:

why_spyder

Members
I would love to keep the tubs going - but wife hates them, lol. I would love to just put a window in the side of them and call it good but she has this preference for glass cages.

Cartel

Members
Fossies are by far my favorite hap. I have 2 growing out and they are getting big really fast. They are growing much faster then my other haps. Both were sold to me with really good possibilities of being males. I'm also picking up a big boy this weekend which I'm all kinds of excited about.