• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

NEW IDEA

1badmarine

Some, I found a pretty good deal on CL today. Picked up a 75g acrylic tank, furniture grade stand and canopy, sump,(2) metal halides, (2) UHO actinic, and(2) return pumps with built-in controller.

At first, I was gonna flip it, because I got it for dirt cheap, but I think I wanna set-up a Salt water tank. What do you guys think? I've never done salt and know nothing about it...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Sweet! I had a reef tank for a little while and it was fun. I sold it because it got really expensive really fast
A FOWLR system wont be as much but saltwater in most cases is more expensive than going freshwater

1badmarine

Sweet! I had a reef tank for a little while and it was fun. I sold it because it got really expensive really fast
A FOWLR system wont be as much but saltwater in most cases is more expensive than going freshwater

Dan, what's a FOWLR system? I'm really not trying to get into all the corals. Just the cheap stuff. A lion fish and some random corals.

kkober

Members
I did the same thing - with a lot smaller tank considering the expenses that come along with saltwater.
I was more intrigued by the coral than the fish - but it sounds like you have the perfect set up to start a salt system.
Once you go salt its a whole 'nother world - but its a lot more fun and much more vibrant colors and its definitely a challenge. (Considering I have a 20g nano lps dom. tank)

Ballen0351

Members
I just started a salt tank I was worried it was going to be harder or more expensive but just like fresh buy used it hasn't been that bad yet

Acpape0

Members
Def. need live rock .... Your main bio media. I did a reef for a few months before I got out if it due to constant $. I hate spending $ on water changes. Not as hard as you think but requires constant daily attention and a experienced fish sitter for vacation. The larger volume of water the more stable it is. It was fun but not my cup of tea. It is the fish tank equivalent of a boat financially speaking. They are really pretty tanks tho

1badmarine

Def. need live rock .... Your main bio media. I did a reef for a few months before I got out if it due to constant $. I hate spending $ on water changes. Not as hard as you think but requires constant daily attention and a experienced fish sitter for vacation. The larger volume of water the more stable it is. It was fun but not my cup of tea. It is the fish tank equivalent of a boat financially speaking. They are really pretty tanks tho

Yeah, the guy I bought from offered me a RODI system and reactor for it. Said it will cut back on the amount of maintenance required. I didn't buy it, because I wasn't sure about salt.

Acpape0

Members
I just made my own, I got a huge bucket of reef crystals from congressional and it lasted me the whole time I had that tank (around 4 months)

Definetly more economical .... I was just to lazy to do it... I had a large bag of reef crystals at the house but used it as a built in excuse to tell the wife to got to the fish store weekly

1badmarine

Definetly more economical .... I was just to lazy to do it... I had a large bag of reef crystals at the house but used it as a built in excuse to tell the wife to got to the fish store weekly

I have a wholesale license, so I get supplies for pretty cheap. I'm more worried about how much time it would eat up. Freshwater is almost set and forget. Especially since I over filtrate.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I have a wholesale license, so I get supplies for pretty cheap. I'm more worried about how much time it would eat up. Freshwater is almost set and forget. Especially since I over filtrate.

Well, with my reef tank I would always freak out whenever I went on vacation just because if one little thing goes wrong it could start a chain reaction and mess up the reef pretty badly. For example, my art teacher has a reef tank that me and him both maintain but one time we where both on vacation at the same time and one of the other art teachers agreed to watch it but when I came back the tank had crazy algae, a bunch of dead fish and corals and the anenome was nowhere to be found. So what he thinks happenned was the anenome got sucked up into a powerhead causing a nitrate spike whcih caused the fish to die and then that caused another nitrate spike which made the algae grow out of control
If you have a FOWLR tank you dont have as much to worry about

Acpape0

Members
A couple min every day and a once weekly water change.... You should keep fresh ro/di water on hand to replace evaporated water....
I would say try it, buy as much as you can used to keep costs down. If you don't line it on a few months you can always sell, I would stay away from expensive corals for a while tho, (this was very hard for me to do and one of the main reasons I don't do salt anymore)

As Dan said FOWLR is the best place to start

rich_one

Members
I've been running a saltwater for a few months now, and so far, I've just been using tap water with no bad results that I can tell, anyway. All inhabitants seem to be alive and well. I have not done much with this tank just yet, but do plan to put some more focus on it in the coming months. I've really just been working on not killing everything. Being as it's been about 4 months now, I seem to have at least accomplished that. That said, I'm in need of many upgrades to and will be focusing on those things soon. Good luck with it!

-Rich

1badmarine

Here's the tank.
picture.php