• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New here from Frederick, MD

Quicklynx

Members
Long time Saltwater reefer now into Fresh!

I run a 72 gallon Bowfront with 10g sump which utilizes an upflow algae scrubber.

The 72 currently houses 5 x Geo. Surinamensis, 1 x Delhezi Bichir, 3 x Senagalus Bichirs(1 ablino,) 2 x Blood Parrots, and 1 x Ropefish.

I plan to add another Ropefish.

My tank is for the most part well overstocked but the scrubber keeps the water immaculate. I'm looking to add some mid level fish and maybe some top. Angels or Discus are what I'm on the hunt for.

I'm also interested in setting up a separate tank in the hopes of breeding Frontosa Cichlids.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum. I've never kept blood parrots, but heard they can be a bit aggressive. I'd either do those or the discus, but not both in the same tank.

If you choose discus, getting them from Discus Hans is the way to go. He's a club sponsor, one of the nicest guys in the hobby I have ever met, and has too quality fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quicklynx

Members
They are still small, but yes, they are still aggressive little things. They chase the Geos around a bit, but when they go after the Bichirs it's a failed mission. The parrots built their little ditch under some driftwood and the Bichirs also like it. They just sit in it and take the abuse. It doesn't phase them. It is quite hilarious.

I was thinking of going Angels or some South Americans larger cichlids like some nice Acara or something that would swim more in the middle and liven up the tank. Maybe some larger Uaru or Severums.

I have been thinking of adding some flagtails but they get huge and also tend to stay towards the bottom as well.

Any suggestions? You have those Xingu, how would they fare?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The krobia would fit in pretty well. They are not aggressive, but don't get pushed around either. I've got them in with severums, adinocara latifrons, and some rainbow cichlids and they do just fine.

Let me know if you are interested.

Jon

Greengirl

Members
Welcome to the club. I just joined recently too. I used to have a rope fish, but they are slippery critters that jump through the tiniest holes. I can't believe mine found a way out from the hole I cut for my filter. I was so sad I couldn't get another. I hope your live long and happy lives.

Quicklynx

Members
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I can get some pictures of it. Coincidence, maybe, but I took it out tonight due to some evaporation issues in the light.

Once I get it fixed I will snap some shots!

Beeman

Members
The krobia would fit in pretty well. They are not aggressive, but don't get pushed around either. I've got them in with severums, adinocara latifrons, and some rainbow cichlids and they do just fine.

Let me know if you are interested.

Jon

Hey Jon, are the krobia critically in need of soft acidic water? My ph runs 7.5-7.8 and moderate hard. Are they out of consideration as a community addition? Not interested in breeding them.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
They are in a community setting at my place. I have well water, pH is around 7.3 and relatively hard. They've thrived in my tank with the exception of spawning.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Krobia are wonderful SA community fish.

The K. guianensis are extremely rare in the hobby. I think that all of the ones around are offspring from a single wild export from Suriname by Jeff Rapps.

I've got some of the wild ones in a 180g with a bunch of Geos and Acaras and they do great. I've got some F1s in with growout sevs, nics and Rainbows in a 55g. They live and breed in MoCo tap water.

The K. xinguensis are a little more aggressive than the guianensis but still great SA community fish.

Both will eat any fish (or anything for that matter) that they can stuff in their mouths but definitely worth keeping.

Matt