• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Fish Store In MD

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Glad to hear a new store is opening! Too many instances of them closing down. Wish I could check this one out but its not anywhere near my neck of the woods.

I'll have to go check it out.
Cool. That will actually be on my way home today.

Will be interested to hear what you thought of the store. Never too early to start a dialogue withe the owner/manager about involvement with the club. ;)

Freakgecko

Members
Finally made it over to this place. Clean and good number of tanks. Minimal dead, although many underweight. Prices are good on schooling fish like tetras, rasboras, etc. Prices in cichlids were quite high. I didn’t interact a ton with staff there, but they seemed to know the basics, but not the more advanced stuff. Didn’t hear “I don’t know that answer” at all, but did hear some odd stuff, like one person trying to sex a tank of all male Apistogramma cacatuoides. Overall, not a bad place, but wasn’t quite the store I’ve been itching to have move in to the DMV area

FishEggs

It's a fresh new store. Mostly tanks. Not a lot of dry goods yet. All fresh water fish. A good variety. I ended up getting a group of Boehlkea fredcochui aka blue tetra at a good price.
They're still going through the troubles of new store/tank syndrome. I talked to the owner and he plans to be more involved with clubs when he gets more settled.
20190605_163701.jpg

Freakgecko

Members
gotta remember its a retail store not an online pre-order list or club member prices.
Oh for sure. But random geophagus (listed as surinamensis, but surely is not the true species) were $36. Most of the Africans were $35 each, although some were cheaper. I wasn’t looking super close to all of the prices though

Oh for sure. But random geophagus (listed as surinamensis, but surely is not the true species) were $36. Most of the Africans were $35 each, although some were cheaper. I wasn’t looking super close to all of the prices though
How high are the cichlid prices?
The prices for Africans for 2.5” are $8.99 3.5” are $19.98 4” is $24.98 Tropheus range from $29.99-34.99

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I stopped by this store last Saturday. The owner was out. The two employees working were friendly, but not very knowledgeable. With some training, they will do fine. I have my own knowledge base, so their being friendly and receptive to feedback (I showed one guy how to grab the bag to hold air in it rather than blowing into it), are all I need. I hope they have someone more knowledgeable on site for people who are just starting out. The store was clean and the tanks were stocked. Like others said, they are still cycling their tanks, and being that they are bare bottom, this will take some time. Fish-wise, they had some stunning tropheus I've never seen before. They also had a lot of your typical "monster" cichlids (red devils, rose queens, flowerhorns). The south american and asian community selection was lacking, but that will hopefully change in time. I bought a large group of black emporer tetras for a reasonable price. My friend bought a young Crenicichla atabapo. Overall, I was pleased with Londontowne and look forward to visiting them again in the future.

I stopped by this store last Saturday. The owner was out. The two employees working were friendly, but not very knowledgeable. With some training, they will do fine. I have my own knowledge base, so their being friendly and receptive to feedback (I showed one guy how to grab the bag to hold air in it rather than blowing into it), are all I need. I hope they have someone more knowledgeable on site for people who are just starting out. The store was clean and the tanks were stocked. Like others said, they are still cycling their tanks, and being that they are bare bottom, this will take some time. Fish-wise, they had some stunning tropheus I've never seen before. They also had a lot of your typical "monster" cichlids (red devils, rose queens, flowerhorns). The south american and asian community selection was lacking, but that will hopefully change in time. I bought a large group of black emporer tetras for a reasonable price. My friend bought a young Crenicichla atabapo. Overall, I was pleased with Londontowne and look forward to visiting them again in the future.

Hello Andrew,
I’m Dale the Owner of Londontowne tropicals. I’m glad over all you where pleased with your visit! I’m a bit surprised a staff member blew in a bag and that’s one of the very first things they are told not to do and of course will be addressed. As for lack of knowledge we have 401 tanks and close to 500 species so some stuff is a learning curve even for me. To help with any lack of knowledge 90% of our price tags on the tanks are printed with a QR code anyone can scan with their smart phone to get more info on the fish they are interested in. Feedback is extremely important to me and if anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The prices for Africans for 2.5” are $8.99 3.5” are $19.98 4” is $24.98 Tropheus range from $29.99-34.99
Those prices are very reasonable for a retail store.
Hello Andrew,
I’m Dale the Owner of Londontowne tropicals. I’m glad over all you where pleased with your visit! I’m a bit surprised a staff member blew in a bag and that’s one of the very first things they are told not to do and of course will be addressed. As for lack of knowledge we have 401 tanks and close to 500 species so some stuff is a learning curve even for me. To help with any lack of knowledge 90% of our price tags on the tanks are printed with a QR code anyone can scan with their smart phone to get more info on the fish they are interested in. Feedback is extremely important to me and if anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.
Welcome Dale! Sorry for not reaching out to you sooner, one of our staff members will be in touch with you soon to discuss sponsorship opportunity. We always love partnering with LFS, and we try to retain those relationships because LFS are becoming more and more scarce. We also realize that 99% of us got hooked or learned about the hobby from LFS as a kid.

I can imagine its tough for employees to try and learn/keep up with all of the species you might have, but I'm very glad to hear that you're actively working on that knowledge base. The QR code that can be used to do fish research sounds amazing! So many new resources available to people nowadays.

Maryland Guppy

CCA Members
Welcome Dale!

I will have to stop in and visit soon, your store is very close for me.

Do you keep any aquatic plants in stock?
I am mostly phishless.

kevmo

CCA Members
Stopped by yesterday and pickup up a few baby cichlids, lots of bigger ones but not many smaller, owner said they'll have more next week can't wait! Got 10% off too!