• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Fish room racks and layout

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
After a large water leak in late August from my 2nd floor bathroom ruining 3 floors of living space and all the way to my basement including my fish room walls and ceiling costing $49,000 in materials and labor to repair. I'm finally finished the 1st and 2nd floors and have my new fish room up and running.
All new 2" return drains upgraded from 1 1/2", replaced air and water supply lines to all tanks .
Upgraded to new 1" Jehmco bulkheads for over flows. New 120 gal sump with Magdrive #18 recirculation pump and a magdrive #12 sump discharge pump to my whole house sump pump. For media I'm using 8 inches of Poret foam and 1 1/2 of Green Matala filter media for support and a large bag of bioballs I've had in the previous system. About 700 gallons of water. Lighting is new 4000K LED shop lights. Still have to add my 2" tank cleaning drain with a inlet at each rack. This is for siphoning dirt from bottoms of all tanks into and will discharge into house sump area.IMG_3114 (2).jpg IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3116.JPG IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3119.JPG IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3121.JPG

zendog

Beautiful!

But where is the big comfy chair so you can just sit there and watch your fish? And maybe a small table to put your beer on.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Beautiful!

But where is the big comfy chair so you can just sit there and watch your fish? And maybe a small table to put your beer on.
Not quit there yet, I have to share this room with 4 rescue cat. when I do have a chair they think its for them to sleep. lol

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Well yeah....but how? Not where! o_O:)
They are plywood frames with plastic laminate/ Formica appled. Frames are glued and screwed together , legs are dadoed to receive the frames .Frames are through bolted and screwed from one end . I use plywood because I can cut to what ever width and thickness I need for the span these racks are 1 1/2" thick . Plywood on edge is stronger and straighter then framing lumber IMO.
I set all the legs on nail in furniture glides keeps the legs from getting wet on the end grain. who ever gets water on the fish room floor? I'm good to a depth 1/2" of water with no damage to legs. I hope this answers your questions I did not mean to be sarcastic in my last reply.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great looking room Dave. Glad to see you're back up and running. Good time to finish before BFD, good opportunity to get some new breeding stock!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Great looking room Dave. Glad to see you're back up and running. Good time to finish before BFD, good opportunity to get some new breeding stock!

I’ve got a young breeding group of Xystochromis Phytophagus (Christmas Fulu) I might be looking to move soon... lol Keep up the nice builds Dave.

chriscoli

Administrator
They are plywood frames with plastic laminate/ Formica appled. Frames are glued and screwed together , legs are dadoed to receive the frames .Frames are through bolted and screwed from one end . I use plywood because I can cut to what ever width and thickness I need for the span these racks are 1 1/2" thick . Plywood on edge is stronger and straighter then framing lumber IMO.
I set all the legs on nail in furniture glides keeps the legs from getting wet on the end grain. who ever gets water on the fish room floor? I'm good to a depth 1/2" of water with no damage to legs. I hope this answers your questions I did not mean to be sarcastic in my last reply.

Fantastic answer! thank you. I may adopt the furniture glide idea in the future....it makes so much sense! :)