• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Cichlid died in two days

Learman12

Members
I bought a new fish on Saturday, Red Top Lwanda that I had been waiting a mouth for. He was the biggest fish in the tank by one inch and for some reason two fish didn't like him. The next day I pulled him out and set-up a hospital tank because he had been picked on badly but it was to late he was died by the this morning. What's the deal I know there are African cichlids but was it because he was the biggest fish in the tank and when they challenged him he just ran. Was this because he was a full grown male in with young males around 21/2 to 4"?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chris_todd

Members
Im sorry you lost your new fish, buy I'm not sure you've given us enough info.

What size tank, what filtration, temp, water parameters, water change frequency and amount would all be helpful. Did you acclimate it before adding it to the tank? What other fish are in there, and how many of each?

Not all African cichlids are compatible; I don't know anything about Red Top Lwanda, but I've seen large peacocks get bullied by smaller mbuna or victorians, so the exact species combinations can make a big difference.

rob3rtphan

Members
New fish always get pick on. Did u rearrange ur tank after putting it in

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
I remember reading an article where the author had a theory that larger fish were more vulnerable when being added to a new tank. The reasoning was that it is seen as a threat by all the fish in the tank.

A good rule of thumb is NEVER to add just one fish to an established African tank. At least three at one time is best.

This is assuming that your breed mix in your tank was otherwise appropriate.

I too think the bigger fish might be more vulnerable. Smaller fish can fit into nooks and crannies and wait it out.

Rearranging the tank before adding new fish is also always helpful.

Sorry about your fish.

Learman12

Members
I have a 75 gallon filtered by an fx5 and I do weekly 50% water changes. The tank has 18 haps and peacocks ranging in size from 2" to 4 1/2". I added two fish in that day but the second fish was a bi-color 500 at 4 1/2" and I didn't change the tank around thinking the fish would hold there own because they where bigger. Verbal that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help guys.

Mikeinco

Members
Did you happen to notice anything strange about the fish when you first saw it at the fish store? Was it gasping in anyway? Same thing happened to me a few months back. Was the fish that died being picked on in his previous tank?

Learman12

Members
The fish store had only two fish that he just got in 3 days before I came to buy one. Both fish didn't look the best the tails were split in 3 to 4 pieces but I asked him to order me one so I felt I need to buy one. I wasn't that pleased with what I had to choose from but this fish store has always been a go place for fish and I even lost one after a week because it wouldn't eat and he replaced it. This fish may have been sick already but my fish didn't give him a chance. I should have known something was wrong when the girl getting the fish said boy I caught that one fast. I've had three cichlids die on me and each fish were caught fast and anyone who has African Cichlids knows if there healthy there a pain to catch even in a 20 gallon.