• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New and Need help.

Klown

Members
Which ones are compatible if they have a large enough tank? Im looking for a 150 gal right now. So that leaves the 55 open for use and i might pick up one more tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
My recommendation:

In 150g (6 foot preferably): 1) Albino Tiger (oscar?), (1) Tiger (oscar), (1) Jack Dempsy, (1) Blood Parrot.

In 55g - (2) "Assorted" per what PetSmart calls them (assuming mbuna of some sort). Add more mbuna to disperse aggression. But don't get them from the assorted tank at Petsmart

Return to Petsmart: (1) Red Devil. Will get 10-12" and eventually kill everything in the 55g (for sure) or the 150g (most probably)

Matt

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
Dog is thinking the exact same thing as me. Although I would also get rid of the blood parrot (silly faced hybrids), and get a couple Electric Blue JDs. I think that we would all agree on using PFS for substrate in the 150.

In the big one, try to arrange the decor so that each fish can have its own apartment (keep in mind their max size), this should help them be more comfortable. Flower pots seem to work very well.

I would also recommend an FX5, a power-head, and at least a 2 bulb T5HO for the 150.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are going to keep the red devil solo, I wouldn't try anything smaller than a 75. An adult male will get to a foot long, if not bigger. A 55 would be too small.

The recommendations above for a 150 for the others is a good starting place. I know it will look empty when the fish a small, but adult oscars are huge and produce a lot of waste.

Klown

Members
Thanks for all the help! I've just done a 40% water change and added a new filter media to the fluval 406 filter to nutralize ammonia. The fish are all doing well. I just need to get this under control.

Klown

Members
Got at 75 gallon on hold for me with a bunch of stuff. Picking it up wednesday. What should I do to properly cycle the tank inorder to get it ready and setup for the Red Devil? Should I get another Red Devil to put with the one I have? What about a pleco in that tank?

verbal

CCA Members
Got at 75 gallon on hold for me with a bunch of stuff. Picking it up wednesday. What should I do to properly cycle the tank inorder to get it ready and setup for the Red Devil? Should I get another Red Devil to put with the one I have? What about a pleco in that tank?
In a 75 you can only keep one Red Devil. If having one fish in a big tank is a deal breaker, then a Red Devil is not the right fish for you.

Probably no on even a pleco with the Red Devil. It might survive, but thriving is unlikely.

For cycling get some filter media from an established healthy tank. It won't get you all the way there, but it will help out.

Klown

Members
Its not a deal breaker by any means. I just didnt want to have a single fish if there was a need or ability to have two of the same in there. How long should I let the tank run without fish before putting him in there?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Its not a deal breaker by any means. I just didnt want to have a single fish if there was a need or ability to have two of the same in there. How long should I let the tank run without fish before putting him in there?

Like Jesse said, use established filter media. Let the tank run a day or so so that temp and gases stabilize. Add a small piece of shrimp (or a couple of your assorted cichlids) and start testing the water a few days later. Watch for nitrites and ammonia to show up.

Let it run until the nitrites and ammonia read zero.

verbal

CCA Members
Depending on your layout, you waste water from your 55 may be a good an ammonia source as any.

Hawkman2000

Members
throw a coupe guppies or feeder fish in and treat the tank with Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start for 2 days. Test the water on the third, and you should be able to add fish. Keep treating with the bio additive for 4 or 5 more days and you should be OK.

Works for me every time.

Klown

Members
Ok got the new 75 gal tank... What is the best way to clean it up? I dont know what the guy had in it and basically want to sanitize it before setting it up. I dont want to use harsh cemicals.

verbal

CCA Members
If you have disease concerns, bleach followed by a bunch of dechlorinator should do the trick.

Hawkman2000

Members
Vinegar will work well coupled with good old fashioned hand scrubbing.

+1

The vinegar will remove almost any hard water stain and rejuvenate the plastic trim. Use it on the hood and light fixture as well. I used Apple Cider Vinegar. When using on plastic, soak a paper towel, and soak the plastic and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then scrub it off with a rag. Repeat if necessary.

You can follow up with bleach if you want. I use Ethyl Alcohol, it evaporates quickly, and what residue remains is easily removed with carbon. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

BTW, I use carbon when setting up a new tank. I stop using it after about a month.