• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 90g setup-

Beeman

Members
Hey Y'all-
Would appreciate all suggestions! I am setting up a new 90g. Water parameters are, ph7.3, hardness 90ppm. This straight out of deep(600ft) artesian well, way out in the country-side. Looking for minimal chemical manipulation. Here are my thoughts. I want to set up a living-room focal point. Am not interested in Africans, sorry folks! Am considering Discus(7 juvies), with Angels(5 juvies), 9 or so Rams, a show-piece Cockatoo, and ?(open to advise for unique cats). Crowded? Room for more? Am partial to the ease of hang-on filtration. Could replace components in one with peat to soften water if necessary. Want to do all natural planting(new to that too, so welcome advise there too!).
I know this was long-winded, but wanted to give as much info as possible. New to your forum relatively, but the advise that you banter back and forth has been very helpful. Any and all advise will be #1, very helpful, and #2, will lead to more questions. Fair warning folks!

verbal

CCA Members
Hey Y'all-
Am considering Discus(7 juvies), with Angels(5 juvies), 9 or so Rams, a show-piece Cockatoo, and ?(open to advise for unique cats). Crowded? Room for more?
Do you mean a Cockatoo cichlid(Apistogramma cacatuoides)? In anything bigger than a 15 gallon tank it won't be much of a "show-piece", they don't get much over 3". They are a very striking fish, but will probably mostly hide in the tank you are describing.

That would probably be an ok stocking until your discus and angels got bigger than 3". There are a variety of opinions on angels and discus together. If you kept angels or discus that would give you more flexibility in terms of keeping the group together when they get bigger.

mscichlid

Founder
Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, one of the problems with discus/angel combos is that angels are more aggressive during feeding and will limit the amount of what the discus will get to eat.

Also, if you are successful raising all twelve fish (discus/angels)to maturity in this setup that your tank will be overstocked. Rule of thumb with discus is 10 gals per fish.

Your water will be fine as is to raise the fish. Manipulating the parameters will most likely require that you have a resevoir to store water to match for water changes.

Discus are pigs, similar to oscars as they require a lot of food, thus, a lot of water changes because of their waste.

HTH

Beeman

Members
Thanks. I guess I shouldn't have used the term show-piece in reference to appis. cacatuoides, because truthfully, with discus in there, what could compete? Maybe 'side-bar' would be better! And thanks for the caution on mixing discus with angels. Think I'll go with just a group of one or the other. Should I anticipate that the discus will pair off and be aggressive to the rest of their group over time, just as with angels? I have NO experience with discus! Thanks again

mscichlid

Founder
If the discus are juvies, I think you have quite some time before you'll have to worry about them pairing off. As cichlids, there will be some bullying and jostling. Feed them a varied diet and do your water changes.

verbal

CCA Members
I you do just discus, you probably could do a group of cockatoo cichlids in addition to the rams.

Hypancistrus sp like the warm soft water that discus and rams prefer. L-270, L-066 and L-333 are probably some good options.