• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 40 Gallon Tank and I am lost!

Aluetkids

Members
Okay not completely lost. I've had fish before but they are mostly mollies, platys, bettas, angels and anything else that my parents decided to get for our 55.

This 40 gal will be the biggest tank i have ever tried to stock by myself. I've had it set up for almost a month now thinking i would just hop down to the fish store and pic out my new fish after a little research. The only thing in it is a 2inch? pleco and some decoration (filter air and heater obviously are included)

After a month of looking i am more lost then ever so i would like to ask everyone's opinions of what i should get. I'm looking for something with color as it is partially for my autistic brother's viewing pleasure. However i also want something i can breed. I've bred Convicts before but I'm just not in love with them.

I hope I'm not being too difficult but right now I'm swamped! Thank you in advance!!!

:angel2:

hotwingz

Members
Its good you asked before you stocked. I didnt and now i have a 55 thats all mixed and its going well enoigh but im not certain whats going to happen in the future. But with a forty your going to be kind of limited. You can do things like rams apistos shellies angels julies. Things like that. But im not a perfect expert. Yet!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishman13

Members
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Finaly. a post i can break my fingers into. Ok dude you whant some colorful fish. Heres a list-

Neon tetras
cardinal tetras
rams
discus
guppies
mbunas
peacocks
bolivian rams
electric german blue rams
some haplochromines
All types of tetras
live aquatic plants

hotwingz

Members
Well a forty wont be big enough for discus, mbunas, and some peacocks. And you have to be careful which tetras you use as fillers. Most cichlids will either eat or kill them if their not big enough. Large danios and tetras are nice additions for color though. And if you do elect to do wood or plants you have to becarefull again on what you get. Some fish will eat certain plants. And some woods can raise your kh levels. And substrate makes a difference too it can keep your ph levels up if needed.

Aluetkids

Members
So i have been looking around and i came across killifish. but i hear they are jumpers and not too bright(swimming into the filter and such)

opinions?

:angel2:

hotwingz

Members
Ive had two. One ya we couldnt fins him so he probably jumped out. And the other ived had for almost a year. Ive never seen anything dumb lol from him. Hes not as pretty as he used to though. In the wild they only live about six months so they dont really keep all of their color. Idk maybe thats just mine. But all the rest of the fish in that tank are full color. Have you thought about tiger barbs. Their neat colorfull and very active. And you could put them in with a pair of jewels apistos rams or some shellies!

hotwingz

Members
Some people call them multies...their only about 1.5-2" and you have to fill the bottom with wholw shells. And if they will live in the shells and if they pair up theyl breed in them! Their neat. Google them :)

monfrey29

Members
I have a 40g setup. I have four juvi peacocks, a yellow lab, a small frontosa, three Julies, & ten serpae tetras. I know eventually the cichlids will out grow my tank, but it looks nice. That's are all getting along for now.uploadfromtaptalk1330823679602.jpguploadfromtaptalk1330823679602.jpg:what:
I also run three sets of lights which cycle through as follows. 6 led moonlights first, next 24in 10k & atomic blue, and last 30in 10k & atomic blue fixture. Then at night it cycles down in reverse. It gives them about 91/2 hrs of daytime. Hope this helps.:eek:
Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1330823505852.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823522756.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823541139.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823554928.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823589992.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823635398.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823652170.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330823679602.jpg

samsmobb

Members
Why not lots of driftwood and some plants that require almost no light like java fern moss Anubias and get like a pair of rams some cherry barbs and neons or rasboras or rummynose tetras as a school fish

hotwingz

Members
I think without the plans of upsizing your tank within six months to a years time then that would be a good option. Lots of tetras as dilfers (best if you only do one of two species) and a small school of dwarf cichilds. And i like driftwood too! Ha