• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nest Tending Male Cichlids

Sonny Disposition

OK. I should have been more precise in asking this question the last time.

Does anyone know of any cichlid species in which only the male tends the eggs and fry, without any involvement form the female?

Thanks.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sonny, if I'm not mistaken a South American fish called Astronotus ocellatus keeps watch of his kids.

Hope that helps.

SubMariner

mscichlid

Founder
No. Only bony fishes, seahorses and some of the labyrinth fishes display this characteristic as far as I know.

Peacock gudgeons and Badis badis are paternal nest tenders but I cant think of any cichlids that do this. Sarotherodon melanotheron is supposedly a paternal mouthbrooder.

Pomatoschistus minutus(sand goby-marine fish), etheostoma olmstedi(Tesselated Darter), gasterosteus aculeatus(three spined stickleback), Lepomis auritus(Red breasted Sunfish), micropterus salmoides(Large mouth bass), and Lepomis punctatus(Spotted sunfish) are all supposedly a paternal nest guard and fry rearers.

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...l/92/2/167#SEC3

Scroll down to Nest Tenders in the paper.

Thanks
Rob

Sonny Disposition

Thanks, Richard. But those are both males and females, right, not just the males?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ May 8 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sonny, if I'm not mistaken a South American fish called Astronotus ocellatus keeps watch of his kids.

Hope that helps.

SubMariner[/b]