• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

(neo)lamproligus Species Search

mscichlid

Founder
Does anyone here keep (neo)lamprologus elongatus, Neolamprologus cylidricus and /or Lepidiolamprologus kendali?

If so, what can you tell me about them. They look interesting.

Francine

D

daniel4832

Francine,
I am breeding both Neolamprologus cylindricus and Lepidiolamprologus kendalli "nkambae", come over and see them. You can also pick up your male Apisto. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Daniel

longstocking

Members
All aggressive little buggers ! I would suggest species only tanks. 4 footers to start with... then you could down size once they are paired off. There are a few fish that could probably take their aggression.... but choose wisely !

The kendali are VERY interesting... and stunning !

D

daniel4832

I breed my L. kendalli in a thirty breeder for the last 3 years, and my N. cylindricus in a 20 long for the last 5 years. When I have kept them with other fish (yes in larger tanks) other then defending fry, they don't pay much attention to the other fish. This keeping of fish is still closer to an art, then science. I have also found that a lot of the Lamps and Julies have stopped breeding when moved into larger tanks and won't re-start breeding until moved back into a smaller tank. There is no one way of keeping fish, you observe your fish and see what works and what doesn't. Yes I have killed fish in the past trying to figure how to keep them alive and breeding, but I have learned alot from those mistakes, to successfully keep and breed cichlids. Some of you know my 30 year battle, not only to breed but to keep alive Tropheus, now I have 5 successful breeding groups, that have been breeding for the past 3 years.
I have always been wary of anyone who claims THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT! This is what works for me, and it may or may not work for you. Get as much information as you can, and observe!
Thanks,
Daniel

longstocking

Members
I agree with you Daniel. Anyone who says "tropheus are easy fish" or that says that there is only one way.... RUN AWAY !

There are certain things that a lot of hobbyists have found success with. A general rule for neolamps is starting them in larger tanks untill they pair off as I'm sure you know. This goes for a lot of fish not just Tangs.

mscichlid

Founder
Francine,
I am breeding both Neolamprologus cylindricus and Lepidiolamprologus kendalli "nkambae", come over and see them. You can also pick up your male Apisto. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Daniel[/b]

Maybe I can come over on Sunday?

Francine

D

daniel4832

Francine,
It would be the highlight of my day :D What time would youlike to come over?

Sarah,
I'm going to give you one of my "tricks" just don't tell anyone :rolleyes: I use a 30 or 40 breeder set up, two sets of rocks at each end, and place two pairs of fish in the tank ( my best results have been using one pair of Lamps and one pair of Julies) each pair bond is strengthen by protecting their rocks from the other pair. By doing this I was able to breed a lot of Tangs in tanks as small as 15 gallons, I DO NOT RECOMMEND USEING SUCH SMALL TANKS for so many reasons, but it had worked for me for years. I have now replaced/ing most of the 15s with 30 and 40 breeders, it is a lot less work. I'm hoping to have both rooms done by the time Ad comes to speak in September.

Thanks,
Daniel

Francine,
It would be the highlight of my day :D What time would youlike to come over?

Sarah,
I'm going to give you one of my "tricks" just don't tell anyone :rolleyes: I use a 30 or 40 breeder set up, two sets of rocks at each end, and place two pairs of fish in the tank ( my best results have been using one pair of Lamps and one pair of Julies) each pair bond is strengthen by protecting their rocks from the other pair. By doing this I was able to breed a lot of Tangs in tanks as small as 15 gallons, I DO NOT RECOMMEND USEING SUCH SMALL TANKS for so many reasons, but it had worked for me for years. I have now replaced/ing most of the 15s with 30 and 40 breeders, it is a lot less work. I'm hoping to have both rooms done by the time Ad comes to speak in September.

Thanks,
Daniel[/b]

his dog hates me! :(

longstocking

Members
lol ... sorry I found that funny. I think his dog hates me too.... liked Bill though lol.

I know that trick Dan ;) Used it many times. I prefer to use 4 footers though. Some types of lamps this failed for me. Not sure on the ones you are asking about Fracine. I would think elongatus this wouldn't work for.... I know someon in NY that has some... let me know if you are interested in the elongatus and I'll get you his contact info. He's a small breeder that keeps every lamp known to man lol. He could probably ship them VERY cheap... 15 bucks or so.

Nigriventris this did not work ! Both stopped breeding. Seperated the 2 groups and both spawned.

Everyones experience is different... I know Dan and I use radically different approaches.

D

daniel4832

Hey stop picking on my dog, he has gotten protective in his old age. :wacko:
Sarah is correct that we differ on how we raise our fish, first you can see into all of her tanks :blush: , but we also do the basics, lots of water changes, good food (OK I need to feed more live food) and observation of our fish. I feel that observation may be the most important and hardest to explain, but I can just look at my fish and tell if things are going well or not.
I have only been able to breed L. elongatus as young pairs every time they start reaching their full size (8"+) they kill each other even when I tried to keep them in a 6' tank.
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
I think Daniel's dog likes me. I still have a measurable hearing loss in one ear from the birds though.

An added attraction of visiting Daniel's fishroom and the two breeding groups per tank setup is watching him scramble when in the process of netting your fish, he suddenly uncovers a batch of fry from the other pair and needs to scoop them up and find a place to put them. :D Oh, to have those problems.

D

daniel4832

Hey you guys! First my dog now my birds. Stop picking on my pets! :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Daniel

mscichlid

Founder
I got past the dog with flying colors!

Daniel's got some great fish! Hey, I'm going to get into trying to keep those Lepidiolamprologus kendalli "nkambae". They're HOT! Impressive fish, I must say. No, I'm not converting...it looks like a pike!

D

daniel4832

Francine,
You didn't just get by, Henry likes you.
Enjoyed having you visit, it's fun to have people to show (off) my fish to. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Daniel