• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need suggestions...

JasonC

Members
So I have 2 20L tanks that I am about to stage up... but I have no clue what to put in them. Was thinking about at least another Apisto sp. (most likely triple red cacs... though one of the mouthbrooders may be interesting...) but would really like some suggestions for other fish to look at for something completely different. I would really like something that is a little more bold than the apistos... would love something that will swim up to the glass when I walk into the room instead of into hiding. I think that the preference, water wise, is something that can live in soft water or tap... really dont feel like doing water mods on both ends of the spectrum of hard/soft, acid/alkaline. Frankly, I also wouldn't mind taking the risk of trying out one of the easier CARES species too..

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

chriscoli

Administrator
Just my two cents:

I like 20L's for many of my shellies. Depending on where you live, if you have moderately hard to hard tap water (sounds like you might not, though), most of them are really adaptable. If you stay with some of the more common shellies, and stay away from wild caught....you're likely to get something that will do just fine in conditioned tap water, especially if you have crushed coral substrate. I've backed waaaay off on how I doctor up my water and mine have been doing great.

Depending on the type, and how often you walk through the room, many of them can be very social. They often duck into their shells if they're startled, but come right back out. My golden Occies, in fact, don't even go into their shells when I stick my hand in the tank....bad for me because if I'm rooting around cleaning and I'm near their territory, they will try to bite. BUT it means that they're always out, and usually right at the glass hoping it's time to feed them. I get to see them all the time.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you wanted to do some Common Kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher)...the aquarium-bred strains don't need really soft water to do well and breed...conditioned tap is fine. The other Pelvicachromis varieties DO need softened water, though, so don't go with them unless your'e prepared to fix your water a little when you use it.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Julidochromis, altolamprologous, or neolamprologous (most species) would also probably work if you don't mind a single pair of fish. Crushed coral, dolomite substrate, or holey rock would likely be enough to provide the alkalinity you'd need.

German blue rams could be an alternative to apistos or kribs.

Jewels or convicts would work, but guessing you might something a little less common.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Shy Apistos

I have 15 species/tanks of Apistos (all in 10s) and they're for the most part fearless, though they do have recourse to ample refuge in the form of anubias, water sprite, driftwood and java moss. Admittedly they do better in small groups in this regard, but even pairs eventually come around in my experience. Same with Nannacara species, and rams of any variety are rarely timid.

Seems to me that the introduction of additional fish/species always diminishes temerity. I'd guess a group of neons or cardinal tetras would turn most any Apistos into extroverts, Corys might help as well but not as much as something that resides higher up in the water column, and would likely give them someone to dither with though most of them don't seem to need any encouragement to spawn.

20 longs are pretty versatile tanks - I have angelfish spawning in one of mine and had a pair of Bolivian rams spawn in another regularly for three years. They're still with me although one or both of them seem to have lost the urge. I suspect they're both closing in on five years in age (or even past as they were big honking adults when I got them three years ago). They will likely succumb to old age (my first since I restarted 3 years ago aside from tetras), which I suppose is just as it should be.

JasonC

Members
Thanks all for some really good recomendations. gotta do some reading on stuff like the shellies and the dwarf Acaras. Think that initial impressions is leading me to a dwarf Acara... nannacara, laetacara, Taenacara.. any suggestions on these? any specific species that are good for a noob trying to stretch his wings?

Sam, don't know what to say re: the Apistos... they are shy as all get out.. have the tank stuffed w/ leaves, driftwood, pots, and a huge needle leaf java fern and also have 4 black neons in the tank with them. they come out to play when they cant see me, but disappear as soon as they notice my presence. Do notice that they got worse after I removed a 3rd wheel female that they started brutalizing all of the sudden... thinking about adding her back in..

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Laetacara would likely be easier to come by than the other two. Nanacara would be second easiest to find but only in terms of a couple types. Taenacara will not be easy to come by which likely means cost will be high and caring for them may require more work than you might prefer.

Sent from my DROIDX

JasonC

Members
So been staring at the web the better part of the day, and I think I have narrowed it down a bit... Think I am most interested (for now) in either Laetacara Dorsigera, or one of the Pelvicachromis taeniatus color forms like 'Kienke' 'Moliwe' or 'Wouri'.

I looked at the shellies and the lake dwarfs mentioned above, but just kept coming back to water. My tap comes out at 3dkH, and by peat filtering it, I can get it below 6.0ph and 1dkH.. I think my water is just more suited for softwater fish... though I guess I could maybe bottle up the liquid rock my in-laws have coming out of their well on kent island...

So anyone with some experience w/ the above fishes? Should someone with moderate experience be able to keep these, or are they way out of my league? How much trouble am I going to have finding these? Esp. w/ the P. taeniatus... i am concerned about getting good quality purebred strains rather than 'tank strain' blends. (which oddly enough is completely contrary to my love for triple red cacatuoides:wub:)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
You should be able to find the Dorsigera and Moliwe easily through reputable sellers online. Kienke and Wouri will be a bit more challenging to locate but not impossible. Are you sure it is Wouri and not Bandewouri that you're considering? I ask only because the others you are looking at are colorful. Wouri is much more brown in color as compared to most if not all other Pelvicachromis.

Sent from my DROIDX

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Dwarf cichlids - sounds so right to me

Sam, don't know what to say re: the Apistos... they are shy as all get out.. have the tank stuffed w/ leaves, driftwood, pots, and a huge needle leaf java fern and also have 4 black neons in the tank with them. they come out to play when they cant see me, but disappear as soon as they notice my presence. Do notice that they got worse after I removed a 3rd wheel female that they started brutalizing all of the sudden... thinking about adding her back in..

Go figure. I'd throw some more neons in, or even Endlers or guppies in with them.

I've found Nannacara to be cooler and more gratifying than Laetecara species, probably because they're sparkier and prettier. Have about 40 two-week old aureocphalus in one of my tanks right now and if I manage to raise some could get you some at the next meeting. Also have a second spawning pair that I'd be willing to trade for something cool which covers a pretty wide but rarefied territory.:D

JasonC

Members
Are you sure it is Wouri and not Bandewouri that you're considering? I ask only because the others you are looking at are colorful. Wouri is much more brown in color as compared to most if not all other Pelvicachromis.

Was definitely looking at the Wouri... I think it was the completely different patterning of the female that was the draw. Did like the Banderwouri though.. thanks for the lead! Any suggestions on dealers though? I know Aquatic Clarity has wild caughts of most of the above Pelvicachromis, but who else should I look at? Esp. for F1's and less pricey options?

Have about 40 two-week old aureocphalus in one of my tanks right now and if I manage to raise some could get you some at the next meeting. Also have a second spawning pair that I'd be willing to trade for something cool which covers a pretty wide but rarefied territory.:D

Me likey lots! will def. want to talk about some of your fry before next meeting. I don't have much though in the way of comparable trade items other than US currency and options on future breeding successes though. ;P

On another note, came across some pics of Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus... wow! what a gorgeous fish! Doubt its anywhere near my skill level at this point, and actually couldnt really find any indications that it is a fish that has made much headway into the trade... but what a beaut!

dogofwar

CCA Members
A. coeruleopunctatus are one of the only (the only?) cichlid that is native to both Central and South America. If you like those, I'd go for some good old Blue Acaras. The true identification of Andinoacaras, even from the wild, is pretty difficult. Who knows exactly what the ones in the hobby are. But they're all gorgeous. House of Tropicals has some now (or at least did a couple weeks ago...).

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Me likey lots! will def. want to talk about some of your fry before next meeting. I don't have much though in the way of comparable trade items other than US currency and options on future breeding successes though. ;P

Just glanced at the tank and there's still at least 20 and they're twice as big as they were just a few days ago. I'll pull them tomorrow and see what I can do to fatten them up before the next meeting but they will still be really small. If that's a problem we can wait another month but they will be able to eat finely crumbled flake at that point so the only real issue is being able to put them somewhere they wont get munched.

I have an aversion to currency belonging to CCA members but am also a notoriously cheap date - a piece of driftwood or a house-plant or some such has been known to do the trick in the past...

mscichlid

Founder
HOT has some L.dorsigera (not sure if it is correct, but I'm gonna get a few), pel. kribensis, (gonna get the two that are showing breeding dress) and blue acara (of which I got the first that paired up).

JasonC

Members
A. coeruleopunctatus are one of the only (the only?) cichlid that is native to both Central and South America. If you like those, I'd go for some good old Blue Acaras.

Both species are a bit out of my range size wise. Just had never seen it before and it was well, striking:
pic_show.php

I have an aversion to currency belonging to CCA members but am also a notoriously cheap date - a piece of driftwood or a house-plant or some such has been known to do the trick in the past...

thus why you are an incredibly generous person. I'll give you a hollar closer to the sept. meeting to see if we can work something out.

HOT has some L.dorsigera (not sure if it is correct, but I'm gonna get a few), pel. kribensis, (gonna get the two that are showing breeding dress) and blue acara (of which I got the first that paired up).

Too many fish to keep, not enough tanks...

JasonC

Members
Hat-tip to Franny for the lead on the L. dorsigera. 4 are camping out in one of the 2 new tanks as of yesterday. Somewhat of an impulse buy, as I wanted some more lead time to get a tank ready for its inhabitants, but they were looking good... well... pale, but extremely responsive.

Now to get this tank fully set up... and start work on the other one. Sam, still want to see if we can work out a deal for some of your N. aureocephalus.

As a sidenote, Franny, do you have any clue what the fry were in the N. beckfordii tank? One tagged along for the ride home. Extremely small and newly freeswimming I am assuming.

Thanks all!