• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help introducing a new fish into established tank

Aperper

Members
I have a 75 gal setup with 6 larger size mbunas (approx. 4- 5.5"). the tank is stable and the dominant fish pretty much keeps everyone in line. I have tried unsuccessfully to introduce two peacocks (~4") into the tank and they were mercilessly harassed until one died and the other is in such a ragged shape. There is plenty of rock cover both holey rock and stacked rock. Is there a process that you've used to help new fish survive their new home? BTW, the most aggressive fish on the two new ones was not the dominant one, but a yellow metriaclima.

Thanks for any suggestions including that I should just be happy with the fish already in the tank.

Allen

CichlidDan

Members
Hi Allen, what I like to do is move the rock work around and add at least 4 fish at a time that’s when I have the best success. Hope this helps.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Adding the fish with the lights off helps too, but as Dan said, bigger groups are better when possible.

Mbuna and peacocks can be tough to mix sometimes, especially when the mbuna are the established fish. You may have to remove the most aggressive mbuna when introducing the new fish keep them out of the tank for a while, then reintroduce them later.

Not always an easy answer, but these are generally the best methods to try first. Good luck.

stany

CCA Members
I have an all male I've been trying with 10-14 mostly Peacocks that has been a challenge. I've tried adding fish at night after removing the rock and adding it back the next morning and I agree with both Dan and Micheal. I've has some success but it has been hit or miss. I'm also trying to over stock the tank hope to spread aggression. I can't seem to keep a Sunshine but a Perlmutt and Clown Lab are doing fine even as the smallest newer additions to the tank. I've tried selling the tank bully as he emerges but it's a fluid thing as another steps up to run the tank. I'm hoping to enjoy what I have until they outgrow the tank or just become too aggressive and have to go. Going through this process I've added 3-4 fish at a time. I think the individual personalities of the fish governs a lot of the aggression but species tendencies are worth noting when selecting new additions. Before I decided to start my version of WW3 I talked with a number of people who considered their tanks a Switzerland of cichlids and it took them a lot of trial and error. Nobody wants to spend good money to end up sending a fish to sure death. Like Michael, I don't think there is an easy answer. Given you are are almost forced to add 4+" or larger fish it can be an expensive trial and error. Good luck my brother.

Aperper

Members
Thanks for the advice Dan, Michael, and stany. It's kind of what i've seen in my 6 or so years of keeping a single tank of cichlids but needed to find out if anyone had a 'magic' process (like giving everyone Prozac before adding a new fish ;) ). It seems to be hit or miss and i just hate losing an expensive and beautiful fish to cichlid anger. Oh well, i guess it's just the way things are in the tank. Nest time I'll try your suggestions and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Allen