• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help ID'ing a catfish

lgfelic

Members
I'm currently in India for work and looking around different aquarium stores for fish to bring back with me. These guys caught my attention and I'm interested in bringing them back. The store owner is a hobbyist as well and goes collecting around the region a lot. He's terrible with fish names and worse with scientific names.
He tells me he caught these about a year ago and that they're already full grown (he says they haven't grown much since he got them). After I showed him pictures of catfish species from India, he's convinced that they're hummingbird catfish (Rama chandramara) but the fish look nothing like the ones I have at home. Not to mention, they're from the wrong region of India.

Anyway... I'd appreciate if anyone could help me identify them. They're about 3" long. the ones that appear to be female are slightly bigger and fuller bodied than the apparent males. He has 8-10 in that tank and I plan to get them all.

20190601_120956.jpg20190601_121022.jpg20190601_121058.jpg20190601_121123.jpg

lgfelic

Members
Vittatus, according to planetcatfish, grows to 8". These are full grown at 3-3.5".
Thank you for providing me a genus to look at. They look more like the picture for Mystus tengara.