• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help identifying this venustus

P.Knight

Members
I picked this venustus at the may meet, he was pretty sure it was a male but i looked up a few things and it might be a female just need someone else's input. Thanks guys

cd03d859.jpg

Malawimania

Members
Pat,

Male Venustus won't start coloring up until they are at least 4 to 5 ". The Venustus I brought to the meeting for you was one of the largest I had, it displayed dominance that lead me to believe it was a male. Male Venustus aren't born with a blue face, instead they are all born with female attributes until they sexually mature. I would be more then willing to swap your venustus out for another venustus, however they are only 3" right now and none show a blue face yet. You must be patient with juvenille fish, otherwise buy a large male thats fully colored. I can promise you the bloodlines are nice give it time to sexually mature, if it doesn't turn out to be a female I will replace with a male Venustus at no cost.

-Steve

Malawimania

Members
if it doesn't turn out to be a male I will replace with a colored male in the future when I have them. Sorry thats what I meant to say.

-Steve

P.Knight

Members
It doesn't matter now, my other fishs after a month I guess wanted nothing more to do with it and attacked it I'm guessing while I was at work and killed it, sucks bc I really liked the venustus

P.Knight

Members
But thanks Steve I didn't mean to annoy you or anything, just I have an all male tank and that was the only fish I wasn't sure about, is it a good chance if it was a female that's why they killed it?

Malawimania

Members
But thanks Steve I didn't mean to annoy you or anything, just I have an all male tank and that was the only fish I wasn't sure about, is it a good chance if it was a female that's why they killed it?

Wow! That really stinks Paul I'm sorry to hear that. You weren't annoying me I wasn't sure if you were aware male venustus take a little time to show color. I really can't tell you why your other fish killed it, malawi cichlids can become aggressive during spawning or over territory. I have plenty Venustus left I will PM you when I get males around 4 ", at that point depending on what you have in your tank, the Venustus will hold up just fine, if anything he will be one of the more dominate fish in your tank.

-Steve