• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need 40 breeder suggestions

So I emptied my 40 breeder of a gazillion ruby red peacocks and added some other peacocks, but the set-up is totally not scratching my itch.

I'm actually tempted to shutdown the tank. If I don't, I need suggestions. Here are the specifics:

40 breeder lightly planted. Currently has some lace rock, but doesn't have to. Currently has 8 synodontis petricola. I like these a lot and would like suggestions that would work with these (even if not the same continent). But selling them off is also a possibility.

Does not need to be (prefer not to be) Old World.

Not aggressive

Not easy breeders (thus not my beloved rainbow cichlids)

Options?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Maybe a pair of dwarf pikes, like crenicichla regani? Not sure how they would do with the synodontis, but they are certainly something that is out of th ordinary and could live in a 40 breeder for life.

mchambers

Former CCA member
A pair of Australoheros Oblongum? They do spawn, supposedly, although my group hasn't done it and I've had them for perhaps 18 months. Very pretty, fairly mellow Central American cichlid, with water requirements should be compatible with synodontis.

Sam's Oblongums did spawn quite a bit, so you'd have that risk.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Holly has been down the chanchito road before...and wasn't happy. They'll spawn and kill the catfish anyway.

What about a school of Ps. acei "Yellow Tail"?

Or a group of Rainbowfish?

So many choices...

Matt

A pair of Australoheros Oblongum? They do spawn, supposedly, although my group hasn't done it and I've had them for perhaps 18 months. Very pretty, fairly mellow Central American cichlid, with water requirements should be compatible with synodontis.

Sam's Oblongums did spawn quite a bit, so you'd have that risk.

verbal

CCA Members
You might just leave the petricola in there and see what happens. Generally they take deliberate breeding, but sometimes babies will survive with enough small hiding spots.

I did just have the petricola in there for a bit, but it's a pretty boring tank. As Matt said, the oblongums didn't work for me. I have white tail acei in another tank.

Oh, and I'd like them to be cichlids. yeah. I'm being very picky I know.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Well, we can't let you shut it down! You don't have enough tanks as it is, so let's keep this conversation going.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I am having difficulty selecting a cichlid that shares ph with petricola. Without them, there are many options including:
Pseudocrenilabrus
Dicrosis
Laetacara
Pelvicachromis
Nanochromis
Apistogramma

mchambers

Former CCA member
Right. Most South American cichlids prefer softer water with a lower pH, as do West African cichlids.

I've been trying to think of a suitable Central American cichlid, since they tend not to need a lower pH. That's why I suggested the chanchito. Unfortunately, Holly has ruled out both them and rainbows, and I know she didn't like Laetacara Thayeri. I think Biotodoma Cupido needs a bigger tank . . .

Ading522

Members
If you are gonna go the brichardi route I have a group for sale.. :)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1387309218477.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387309230064.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd be wary of either brichardi or leleupi meeting Holly's "not aggressive" and "won't breed" criteria...

Matt

Ever consider shell dwellers? May not match your criteria perfectly but they are so cool to watch and a 40 should be petfect.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App