• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

NBA Playoffs

fischfan13

Banned
What is absolutely AWFUL about the NBA playoffs (NHL too) is the days off between games. One day off between games and two days off in between games that you travel.
It used to be back-to-back days and one day off for travel.
Any series that goes 7 games will be a two-week long series...that's absolutely ridiculous.

Celtics will probably lose Rondo for a game (what was he thinking when he purposely bumped the Ref). In order for Boston to advance past this round they will need to win on the Road. Being that they are already down 1-0 and will probably be without Rondo for at least one game I will go out on a limb and say they are finished.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
What is absolutely AWFUL about the NBA playoffs (NHL too) is the days off between games. One day off between games and two days off in between games that you travel.
It used to be back-to-back days and one day off for travel.
Any series that goes 7 games will be a two-week long series...that's absolutely ridiculous.

Celtics will probably lose Rondo for a game (what was he thinking when he purposely bumped the Ref). In order for Boston to advance past this round they will need to win on the Road. Being that they are already down 1-0 and will probably be without Rondo for at least one game I will go out on a limb and say they are finished.
YEAHHHH HE WAST THINKING @ ALL. HOWEVER I NEED HIM TO PLAY TO BEAT SOME "AHEM...OTHER TEAMS". :D MAKING THE RUN A LITTLE EASIER. ;)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Worried about someone? :rolleyes:
The only team that you better hope gets knocked off is Kobe...I mean the Lakers! :p
THATS THE ONLY TEAM OUT WEST IM WORRIED ABOUT. HOPEFULLY KOBE HAS KNEE ISSUES OR HAS KIM K OVER AND BLOWS OUT HIS KNEE :D. SPEAKING OF WEST DID YOU SEE THE GRIZZLIES LOSE TO THE CLIPPERS LAST NIGHT....OMG!!! :eek: CAME BACK FROM 27PTS !!! :D

fischfan13

Banned
THATS THE ONLY TEAM OUT WEST IM WORRIED ABOUT. HOPEFULLY KOBE HAS KNEE ISSUES OR HAS KIM K OVER AND BLOWS OUT HIS KNEE :D. SPEAKING OF WEST DID YOU SEE THE GRIZZLIES LOSE TO THE CLIPPERS LAST NIGHT....OMG!!! :eek: CAME BACK FROM 27PTS !!! :D

I was watching baseball last night but checking the scores on ESPN. When the lead was around 20 I just thought to myself "same ol' Clippers".

So is Kobe possibly better than:

Magic
Bird
Oscar
Wilt
MJ

I say NO to all the above, but believe he is #6 of greatest of all time.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I was watching baseball last night but checking the scores on ESPN. When the lead was around 20 I just thought to myself "same ol' Clippers".

So is Kobe possibly better than:

Magic
Bird
Oscar
Wilt
MJ

I say NO to all the above, but believe he is #6 of greatest of all time.
YEAH I WAS THINKING IT WAS OVER IN THE 3RD BUT THEN IT WAS LIKE UH OH..THEYRE TRYING TO COME BACK. IT GOT GOOD. HE ISNT BETTER THEN ANY OF THAT 5. I WOULD PUT A FEW IN FRONT OF HIM AND NOT BECAUSE I DONT LIKE HIM BUT THEY HAVE EARNED IT. RIGHT OFF THE BAT I PUT THE GREATS BILL RUSSELL, JULIUS ERVING AND KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR AHEAD OF HIM.

Nathan

Members
reality-what-kobe-sees.jpg

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
It is amazing how closely Dr J and Kobe match up in terms of career numbers(basically the differences are what you would expect with one being a SG and one a SF):

http://bkref.com/tiny/QTEOV
the difference is kobe has alot more games to pad those #s. if the older greats played with the 3pter and longer schedule of games you couldnt even call it close. kobe woulndt survive back in the day cuz the gave alot of hard fouls....thats when the N.B.A. meant no babies allowed. ;)

verbal

CCA Members
the difference is kobe has alot more games to pad those #s.
Dr. J had 1243 games. Kobe has played 1161

if the older greats played with the 3pter and longer schedule of games you couldnt even call it close.
There was an 82 game season in 1976-77(Dr. J's first in the NBA). Apparently the ABA played 84 games in the regular season.

There was a 3 point shot, in all but 3 of Dr. J's seasons. However as a 29.8% shooter for his career, it likely did not effect him much.

Also you could argue that the ABA stats are far more stat padding than anything that Kobe is benefiting from

kobe woulndt survive back in the day cuz the gave alot of hard fouls....thats when the N.B.A. meant no babies allowed. ;)

While the physicality allowed defensively made it harder for scorers in Dr. J's, Kobe has to deal with opponents that are on average bigger and more athletic

fischfan13

Banned
Kobe spent to much time riding shaqs coat tails to be compared to anyone on that list

2008, 2009, 2010.
No Shaq
Three Finals.
Two Championships.

Dr J, while great, did not have the physical monsters night after to night to contend with. The NBA is MUCH more physical now than it was in the 70's.

Jabbar, while also great, needed a supporting cast.
Russell, who would be #7 on my list, had greats around him all of the time as well.

Not sure why there is so much Kobe-hatred out there from what he has accomplished on the court. I am not even a Lakers fan and I see what Kobe has brought to the NBA.

Kobe:

dogofwar

CCA Members
As a King's fan who's still pissed about crooked refs giving Game 6 of the 2002 Western Finals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401) to Kobe and the Lakers, I can even admit that Kobe is a great player.

Not as good as MJ.
Not as good as Magic.
Probably not as good as Bird.
But better than Dr. J (call me Dr. Chapstick).

My dislike of Kobe (other than from the Kings-Lakers rivalry that was) comes from disliking him as a human being. Although he wasn't convicted, he's still a rapist in my book. I've heard that Michael Jordan is an amazingly horrible person as well. On the other hand, Bird's former house keeper (my shuttle driver to French Lick, IN) and a friend of a friend said that both Bird and Magic are good dudes.

The outcome of NBA games, even NBA games without crooked refs, is dependent on how fouls are called. Shaq used to beat the s out of people. When the refs let him do it, the Lakers won. When they didn't, not so much.

Matt

PS Imagine if the Kings wouldn't have been screwed by a crooked ref in 2002...won the Western Finals (remember the Lakers breezed thru the Finals)...and won the NBA Championship. There would have been (more) support for a new arena. The Maloofs wouldn't be trying to move them today!

Zeppelin2088

Members
Kobe is BY FAR the greatest player since Jordan. The game has changed too much to compare him to the older players. The spurs have the best shot to take out my thunder, we always have problems with the spurs. The Heat now have a clear shot to the finals with rose gone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nathan

Members
I don't know about that, Tim Duncan was beast, so was t-mac. It could be argued that t-mac would have been able to easily win championships with teammates like kobe had.
Besides, kobe is old now and mostly a volume shooter, think back to Iverson but with a much better team.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Dr. J had 1243 games. Kobe has played 1161

There was an 82 game season in 1976-77(Dr. J's first in the NBA). Apparently the ABA played 84 games in the regular season.

There was a 3 point shot, in all but 3 of Dr. J's seasons. However as a 29.8% shooter for his career, it likely did not effect him much.

Also you could argue that the ABA stats are far more stat padding than anything that Kobe is benefiting from

While the physicality allowed defensively made it harder for scorers in Dr. J's, Kobe has to deal with opponents that are on average bigger and more athletic
ok dr.j only played in the aba 3 years. he also didnt shoot 3's as he was a midrange shooter he could/would punish you in the paint. also the nba didnt use 3's until what 78 or 79. thats 4-5 seasons in the nba w/o 3's. therfore imo the 3pt argument is invalid since it wasnt part of his players game. wouldnt you agree? now the reason i said he wouldnt last back in the day was this. he wouldnt get away w/ "crying" for fouls like brady does in football. those old school ballers gilmore, unseld, russell, robertson would run all over him. he would get beaten like mj did the first go rounds against detroit.(remember he hit the weight room and began to trust his teammates to win and win the trophy).
put doc in this generation and he would have been jordanesque or better. i mean seriously doc had a sneaker deal w/ converse way before anyone else. albeit it was converse but how many great players got a shoe named after them after chuck taylor did so? not many besides bird and magic.lastly drj was classy we didnt see him in off the court drama. we didnt know he had fathered a tennis star until she was an adult. cant say that for mr.colorado.
bill alot of people dont like kobe because he is a "copycat" jordan. i mean he used to emulate him from style of play right down to facial eexpressions. simply just be you. others like myself included see him as the reason l.a. lost a chance at a dynasty. he caused a major rift w/ shaq with 1 horrible sentence in a interview....and i quote" what?! shaq does it . he just pays his women to keep quiet." whooooooooa !!! we were talking about you just being caught cheating on your wife and you go and out shaq who had nada to to do with it. bytch mode kicked in. manlaw you dont rat ya boys when you get caught. especially when they arent involved. this rift led to on the court off the court feuds and cheap shots that are still present today.can you imagine if those 2 had never had beef and continued to get along. they could have had rings. ;)

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
As a King's fan who's still pissed about crooked refs giving Game 6 of the 2002 Western Finals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401) to Kobe and the Lakers, I can even admit that Kobe is a great player.

Not as good as MJ.
Not as good as Magic.
Probably not as good as Bird.
But better than Dr. J (call me Dr. Chapstick).

My dislike of Kobe (other than from the Kings-Lakers rivalry that was) comes from disliking him as a human being. Although he wasn't convicted, he's still a rapist in my book. I've heard that Michael Jordan is an amazingly horrible person as well. On the other hand, Bird's former house keeper (my shuttle driver to French Lick, IN) and a friend of a friend said that both Bird and Magic are good dudes.

i respected birds game but hated him and the celtics as a sixers fan growing up. here is a nice kept secret on bird.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8214183.html
not so nice bird.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
"he would get beaten like mj did the first gorounds against detroit."

THAT was a team! There's a Pistons starter jacket somewhere back at my parents house in Ohio...

Matt